Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Where have all the AKs gone? Subjective question, (Used guns un general) in PA anywa

If you remember the song "where have all the flowers gone" Replace the word (Flowers with AKs)-- |:-)
    Going back in time as I was getting a bi-Weekly bonus from working on a military base as a contractor, I started this insane hobby of acquiring a fire arm or two,
    Aside from the usual offerings of Smith revolvers and colt 1911s there became a flurry of AKs, Like Neo said "Guns, Lots of Guns". SKSs at $99 at Cabelas, Regular wood furniture century AKs at $249 and the Yugo underfolders at $289, While I passed on the wood furniture AK offerings but I did get a couple SKSs and Yugo underfolders, and at this time there were only a few ARs from time to time in shops, Seemed like the AKs continued to be relatively available and the ARs started to sell, More and more until more ARs sold than condemns annually, They AR stayed strong and the AKs slowly seemed to go quiet, I remember the old AK vs AR debates from the 90s and early 2000ds,
    At this time nearly everyone I know who has guns has an AR, But only a few have AKs, Im thinking that the AK guys might have 42 AKs stowed away for D-Day just as the AR guys do,
    As I travel between Pittsburgh and Phila I stop at gun shops as I visit areas near the turn pike, And aside from all the AK and AR style shotguns, I still see tons of ARs in 223/556 yet I don't see AKs too often,
    Example,
    I swing past two shops in Pittsburgh this weekend which are east of the city and one has 1 AK which surprised me and 6 or 7 ARs,
    The other which is a smaller shop has 2 ARs and no AKs,
    I thinking that the AR is Americas choice and the AK has moved away from curiosity and desirability,
    I understand you cant outfit an AK with all the FARKLES (accessories) like the ARs, In reality I only use irons on my potential defensive intermediate round rifles as I know if I needed one to bug out with, The batteries would be dead or I would break something laden with costly glass optics, So to me, I don't need 17 rails attached to my primary rifle,
    OK, Yep I rambled a bit,
    But.... WHERE HAVE ALL THE AKs GONE?
    I think some 100 million have been produces, Far more that the AR at this time,
    Enough said, Back to tinkering about the house.
    Sincerely,

Default Re: Where have all the AKs gone? Subjective question, (Used guns un general) in PA a

There are plenty of AKs to be had if you know where to look. The problem is there are no cheap foreign made (or parts kit made) AKs anymore. And with the recent ban on Russian ammo and guns, the prices for anything AK is going to go up until supply runs out or ammo imports from other countries catch up with demand.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Where have all the AKs gone? Subjective question, (Used guns un general) in PA a

There just isn*t enough supply of AKs to keep prices low and readily available.

The used gun market is slow, given everything that*s been going on.

More people today sell their used gun themselves using classifieds etc.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    There are plenty of AKs to be had if you know where to look. The problem is there are no cheap foreign made (or parts kit made) AKs anymore. And with the recent ban on Russian ammo and guns, the prices for anything AK is going to go up until supply runs out or ammo imports from other countries catch up with demand.
    Without looking at Gunbroker or Guns America that is,
    Ive got what I like and don't need to make any purchases, Just an interesting observation, Ill take a peak at the better shops in the Phila suburbs next week, Just seems like a trend, I also would think two things concerning AK food ban,
    Folks will hold on to their AK fiercely or, Think I should sell when I can because when there is no ammo, The AK is a funny looking bat.

(Carbon County)

ARs are for precision

AKs are for killing everyone in the room
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    If you remember the song "where have all the flowers gone" Replace the word (Flowers with AKs)-- |:-)
    Going back in time as I was getting a bi-Weekly bonus from working on a military base as a contractor, I started this insane hobby of acquiring a fire arm or two,
    Aside from the usual offerings of Smith revolvers and colt 1911s there became a flurry of AKs, Like Neo said "Guns, Lots of Guns". SKSs at $99 at Cabelas, Regular wood furniture century AKs at $249 and the Yugo underfolders at $289, While I passed on the wood furniture AK offerings but I did get a couple SKSs and Yugo underfolders, and at this time there were only a few ARs from time to time in shops, Seemed like the AKs continued to be relatively available and the ARs started to sell, More and more until more ARs sold than condemns annually, They AR stayed strong and the AKs slowly seemed to go quiet, I remember the old AK vs AR debates from the 90s and early 2000ds,
    At this time nearly everyone I know who has guns has an AR, But only a few have AKs, Im thinking that the AK guys might have 42 AKs stowed away for D-Day just as the AR guys do,
    As I travel between Pittsburgh and Phila I stop at gun shops as I visit areas near the turn pike, And aside from all the AK and AR style shotguns, I still see tons of ARs in 223/556 yet I don't see AKs too often,
    Example,
    I swing past two shops in Pittsburgh this weekend which are east of the city and one has 1 AK which surprised me and 6 or 7 ARs,
    The other which is a smaller shop has 2 ARs and no AKs,
    I thinking that the AR is Americas choice and the AK has moved away from curiosity and desirability,
    I understand you cant outfit an AK with all the FARKLES (accessories) like the ARs, In reality I only use irons on my potential defensive intermediate round rifles as I know if I needed one to bug out with, The batteries would be dead or I would break something laden with costly glass optics, So to me, I don't need 17 rails attached to my primary rifle,
    OK, Yep I rambled a bit,
    But.... WHERE HAVE ALL THE AKs GONE?
    I think some 100 million have been produces, Far more that the AR at this time,
    Enough said, Back to tinkering about the house.
    Sincerely,
    Switching topics, but in your travels, what gun stores do you like and have decent prices?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I would argue AK demand will go down with the Russian ban. Why shoot 7.62x39 when brass 5.56 is roughly the same price?

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I went the ak direction instead of the ar direction a few years back because I had already significantly invested in 7.62x39 with the sks. I have seen a few on this site here and there, which is where I made my purchases.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I would argue AK demand will go down with the Russian ban. Why shoot 7.62x39 when brass 5.56 is roughly the same price?
    I think the prices on AKs will drop, except for AKs in 556.
    One of the main draws as you stated was cheap ammo.

(Tioga County)

All the cheap parts kits dried up and looks like cheap ammo will be drying up too.

Personally I like the classic look and too many AKs sold these days have weird bling and furniture on them. Just give me a soviet looking AKM type thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast