Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Mod 39

(Adams County)

Default S&W Mod 39

If anybody has a MOD 39 I'd love to know how it is doing....are you still shooting her? If any body knows of one for sale let me know....

Going down memory lane tonight....I'd love to find a 39......It's the only 9mike mike I'd want except the trusty Sig226.

The 39 was the second pistol I qualed expert on in the Navy. Most pilots preferred them over the Mod 36 38spl (which I appluaded) but some took the 39 over the 45...(which I respectfully denounced....but a 245lb tomcat pilot/RIO had the right to bitch! the 45 hurt when pulling G's)

Let me know....I loved plinkin with that 39!!!!!

Default Re: S&W Mod 39

Got a Mod 59 -- Not sure what the Difference is, But to be honest I don't shoot it that much. It is a nice gun though. Good Luck in your search.
    Recoil Happens

(Allegheny County)

Several years ago I picked up a 39-2, mostly out of nostalgia for the one I carried on the job many years ago. I shoot it regularly and while it's not the most accurate 9mm in my stable, it holds its own with most of them.

When I get a few bucks ahead, I may see if Bar Sto can fit a match barrel to it.

Either way, if you see one, pick it up. IMO they are superior to any other auto SW has had in its line for many years.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    Got a Mod 59 -- Not sure what the Difference is, But to be honest I don't shoot it that much. It is a nice gun though. Good Luck in your search.
    The MOD 59 was a beefed up 39...and one of the first double stack high cap mag 9mm that started the "wonder nine" craze in the earlier 80's. The Illinois State Police adopted the MOD 59......and before long all PD's and SO's wanted high cap 9mm duty pistols....KABOOM went the flurry of offerings from the manufacturers....not to mention a couple years later the Beretta 92 won the service contract (FIXED!!!BIASED!!!BS!!!).

But yeah, if I could pick one up that would be great....had tons of fun with it years back.

(Centre County)

Check CDNN and SOG (also Gunbroker.com and GunsAmerica.com)they have a lot of surplus guns and older guns. I believe I hav seen 39's and 59's for sale at both sites at times.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Check CDNN and SOG (also Gunbroker.com and GunsAmerica.com)they have a lot of surplus guns and older guns. I believe I hav seen 39's and 59's for sale at both sites at times.
    You did see them on those sites in the past.....for a fortune ($500 or more). Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it. I've been looking at gun shows also.....everybody wants a fortune. These were not "great" pistols, and do not have "collector" value. Don't know why they are pulling a high price tag these days. I just want one for sentimental reasons....

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    Got a Mod 59 -- Not sure what the Difference is
    The later Smith & Wesson Model 59 was similar to model 39, retaining the original 9mm Parabellum caliber, but had a wider aluminum frame with a straight backstrap to accommodate a double-column magazine that could hold 14 rounds.

It was designed for the US Navy as a large-capacity version of the S&W Model 39, and was the basis of their Mark 22 "Hush Puppy" silenced pistol. In 1965, the US Navy commissioned a version of the S&W Model 39 that could take the 13-round magazine of the FN Browning HP35. In early 1970, a dozen experimental all-stainless-steel prototypes were made and were issued to Navy SEAL commandos for evaluation in the field. The firearm was, however, not adopted by the navy SEAL.
    The Model 59 went on the market in late 1970. It went out of production a decade later in 1980 when it was superceeded by the improved second generation series was introduced (Model 459).

There are few M39 on Gunbroker currently
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sea...S%26W+Model+39
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    The later Smith & Wesson Model 59 was similar to model 39, retaining the original 9mm Parabellum caliber, but had a wider aluminum frame with a straight backstrap to accommodate a double-column magazine that could hold 14 rounds.

It was designed for the US Navy as a large-capacity version of the S&W Model 39, and was the basis of their Mark 22 "Hush Puppy" silenced pistol. In 1965, the US Navy commissioned a version of the S&W Model 39 that could take the 13-round magazine of the FN Browning HP35. In early 1970, a dozen experimental all-stainless-steel prototypes were made and were issued to Navy SEAL commandos for evaluation in the field. The firearm was, however, not adopted by the navy SEAL.
    The Model 59 went on the market in late 1970. It went out of production a decade later in 1980 when it was superceeded by the improved second generation series was introduced (Model 459).

There are few M39 on Gunbroker currently
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sea...S%26W+Model+39
    Your touching on my "sentimental" reason for the 39 which began in the US NAVY. The 39 was mostly issued to Pilots, RIOS, and Aircrew....I first encountered the 39 while assigned to VF21 Ordnance...the pilots/Rios had the option of the 39 or a 2in Mod 36. We we responsible for the upkeep of the pistols/revolvers, and since I was SAMI I also intsructed on the use. Later as Base Armorer, Range Master, and Range LPOIC I had the chance to play with more of them....and (I'll Admit it) carried the 39 in a shoulder holster during operations more than the 45 especially in the summer. I'm well aware of the 39 history, and all small arms in the Naval armory. From 1985 to 1992 I never saw any SEAL Team member, SDVT member, or EOD carry a 39.......mostly SIG P226 was their choice.

Just a neat little gun....fun to "plink" with. We used to use the 39 in a "chow match"....last SAMI to shoot out the entire little corner silhouette on the B27 target had to run mainside and buy chow for all instructors on the instructor bill and duty armorer bill! Using the 45 was too easy with those ashtray holes!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
    I'm well aware of the 39 history, and all small arms in the Naval armory.

I'm sure you are. I was talking about Model 59 for TJB63
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Hey Mity & XUSN,

Thanks for the History, I gather from what you guys are saying, the Mod39 was a Single Stack? (Except for those that were made for the HiPower Mags) and the Mod59 was the double stacker.

All in All it's a neat little gun and I need to take it out more often, I think I paid about $300 for it a few years back, it came with 2 magazines.
    Recoil Happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast