Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Need some help from knowledgeable rifle owners . . .

I'll cut right to the chase . . . I'm looking to find a semi-auto rifle that I can use safely and easily manipulate with only one arm. I'm an upper extremity amputee, and although I do have a prosthesis that can assist in supporting a typical rifle, it's not easy to do and I would rather not always rely on needing it. Here's my thought process so far:
    The remaining arm and hand I have are pretty stout. I'm very proficient with my 50+oz scoped 357 mag one-handed and have used a pistol grip 18" shotgun w/birdshot one-handed as well without a problem. My necessities for this rifle are semi-auto action, 20+ round capacity, and a powerful but controllable cartridge. From my experience shooting rifles I think my best choice would be a .223 / 5.56 nato. Although I am open to suggestions.

My first thought was a bullpup designed rifle, as I could easily pull the stock into my shoulder for support and not have a lot of weight hanging out past the grip. Unfortunately the selection of bullpup rifles is low, and quality examples are quite pricy. I immediately ruled out the Century AK-style bullpup due to the poor reviews of terrible triggers and shotty reliability. I'm a big fan of the Steyr AUG, but it seems to be tough to find and is a bit more than I would like to spend right now.

Recently I was looking through Classic Arms' page and saw the "Draco AK Pistol." I was hoping to find a rifle I could plant into my shoulder, but the Draco gave me the idea that a pistol version of a rifle may work if it was easy enough to control one-handed. I wrote off the Draco after reading poor reviews of it, but it did lead me to the Kel Tec PLR-16 which had a few favorable professional reviews. Interestingly is seems to be exactly what I was looking for, MINUS a shoulder stock. (which I don't really like) Yes, I'm aware adding a shoulder stock would make it an NFA weapon.

So here I am stuck liking the PLR-16, but unable to get past the lack of a shoulder stock. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a rifle that might fit the bill for me? Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Need some help from knowledgeable rifle owners . . .

The FN P90 was designed to be fired with one hand. They run in the $1200-1500 range and fire the "infamous" 5.7 round.

(Butler County)

Why not the Kel-tec RFB?

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/rfb/

...it's 7.62 NATO and not 5.56?

Great gun from all I have heard.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Northampton County)

I did take a good hard look at the FN P90. It looks like an excellent firearm, but I know little to nothing about the 5.7x28mm round. At a glance it looks like it would be very controllable, but have very little energy behind each round. Perhaps someone can school me on this round . . .
    The FN P90 is definitely a gun I plan on trying to find and shoot before making a decision. Thanks for the suggestion!

The Kel Tec RFB I did take a quick look at, but was concerned that the 7.62x51 would be a bit more than I could comfortably handle in rapid fire. The closest caliber I own is a 7.62x54R; if it's anything like that then it's more power than I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    I did take a good hard look at the FN P90. It looks like an excellent firearm, but I know little to nothing about the 5.7x28mm round. At a glance it looks like it would be very controllable, but have very little energy behind each round. Perhaps someone can school me on this round . . .
    The FN P90 is definitely a gun I plan on trying to find and shoot before making a decision. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I had always wished someone would modify the gun to accept 5.56 NATO, which is significantly more powerful, but also significantly longer which is why it doesn't exist, I think. I've not owned or shot a PS90 yet, but it is on my "before 2010" list to get one. I've heard the realistic maximum range on the PS90 is 100-150 meters. This website says it is 400 meters. I find that hard to believe you'd have any accuracy at 400 meters with that cartridge, but I'm not a ballistician.

Good luck in your search, I hope you find something that suits you!

(Butler County)

Yeah, the 7.62 NATO is a bit harsh for plinking... expensive too.

How about the Bushmaster M17s?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Allegheny County)

Toujours prêt

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    That's cool as all get out... hadn't seen those before.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Need some help from knowledgeable rifle owners . . .

Perhaps an AR pistol might work best.

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Perhaps an AR pistol might work best.
    This or a folding stock AR. Both of these fit the OP's description the best, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast