Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Anyone hunt with military surplus rifles?

So far I've hunted deer with both my Enfields, and almost shot a big ten point buck with my No.5. Gun did its part, I did not and the deer lived to see the sun another day.

This year I may be taking my Type 99 Japanese Arisaka if I can work up a decent load. The factory Hornady 150 grain loads I used hit 6 inches low at 100 yards and grouped poorly. I can reload much more accurate rounds for this gun.

Just curious to see who else besides me enjoys taking military surplus rifles out hunting once in a while.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Anyone hunt with military surplus rifles?

My primary deer rifle is my 7mm Mauser. I have 30-30's, 30-06's etc, but I love hunting with my Mauser the most. Open sights-I'm a big scope guy dont get me wrong... I was going go to sniper school but I have contacts .. but it's just so beautifully shooting with open sights. I would never change it.

I'm always looking to expand my collection... Along with modern weapons, I really enjoy older weapons. Just the history and everything about them is so appealing!
    III%

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    My primary deer rifle is my 7mm Mauser. I have 30-30's, 30-06's etc, but I love hunting with my Mauser the most. Open sights-I'm a big scope guy dont get me wrong... I was going go to sniper school but I have contacts .. but it's just so beautifully shooting with open sights. I would never change it.

I'm always looking to expand my collection... Along with modern weapons, I really enjoy older weapons. Just the history and everything about them is so appealing!
    Yep, I hear ya. I just like the idea of the old war horse being used again, well on non-human targets anyway. Of all my milsurps, I can't be sure but I could probably win money on a bet that my Arisaka did see action on a battlefield someplace. So to see it used in a more passive way on game would be a neat feeling.

I too like open sights, and would never dream of scoping the Arisaka. I do have a scope on my No.4 Enfield though, as well as my 30-30. There's just somethin gabout taking a surplus gun hunting though that appeals to me.

(Montgomery County)

I was tossing around the idea of using my Nagant. I picked up a box of Prvi hunting ammo for it just haven't gotten around to seeing how it groups with it.

(Monroe County)

i've thought about using the Mauser my father gave me, original 1944 8mm. he would probably kill me tho if i took that into the woods. i've found some nice 196 gr soft points. i supposed i could just go to his property in Pike and take one deer from the back deck tho.

i failed to get the hunting permit this year, again, so it looks it will have to wait another year. my mom is bugging me for some venison.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post

i failed to get the hunting permit this year, again, so it looks it will have to wait another year. my mom is bugging me for some venison.
    Go to walmart and get your license and go try for a buck. It isn't too late to get it. It might be past the point of getting a doe tag depending on your WMU

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    I was tossing around the idea of using my Nagant. I picked up a box of Prvi hunting ammo for it just haven't gotten around to seeing how it groups with it.
    I would like to take my M38 but that damn safety mechanism is just so hard to use I decided its not worth it. The only alternative I see is to not chamber a round until a deer shows up but I doubt I'd be able to rack the bolt without the deer hearing me, thus making it hard to use......I have seen Nagants used though. One guy had an M44 wit hthe bayo removed as I recall a couple years go. Definitely plenty of power in the 7.62 round for deer.......

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    Go to walmart and get your license and go try for a buck. It isn't too late to get it. It might be past the point of getting a doe tag depending on your WMU
    I would think with over the counter sales beginning soon, he may be able to get a permit. So long as his WMU isn't sold out.....

(Schuylkill County)

I have a Springfield M1917. I have it setup with a scope and last year I got the barrel cut down and a Surefire QD flash hider put on. I am waiting for the Surefire supressor to come back. Subsonic loads are VERY quiet. Gun is very accurate although I missed a doe with it last year. I have taken 2 buck with it in the past. I also bought a Boyds varminter stock for it. It was the only aftermarket stock that I could find for it. I have been meaning to take some nice pics and post them here. Gonna have to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    So far I've hunted deer with both my Enfields, and almost shot a big ten point buck with my No.5. Gun did its part, I did not and the deer lived to see the sun another day.

This year I may be taking my Type 99 Japanese Arisaka if I can work up a decent load. The factory Hornady 150 grain loads I used hit 6 inches low at 100 yards and grouped poorly. I can reload much more accurate rounds for this gun.

Just curious to see who else besides me enjoys taking military surplus rifles out hunting once in a while.
    about four years ago my nephew returned on short notice from his first tour in iraq with the P.A.N.G as it turned out he was able to make buck season and we found ourselves short a rifle.

i had just picked up an enfield carbine in 303 so i used that and he my 700 in 06.

the day before was the first time i shot the rifle and i had no mag and open sights . that his how i fielded it on monday and the rest of the week, no shots at deer but after the range visit i had a load of confidence in the rifle and my ability to drop a deer out to 100 yds.

i would love to own a finely sporterized mauser or 03' springfield to reach out and touch a buck with
    Last edited by ruggerio; September 10th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast