Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 99

Default Savage 99

Howdy ,I am interested to know how many pennsylvania riflemen still use the Model 99 as thier primary hunting rifle and what caliber it is and how do they rate its performance on deer.
    HISTORY KNOWS NOTHING OF ITS GREATEST MEN

Default Re: Savage 99

You bet I do! It's even my avatar. Mine's chambered in .300 Savage, never had a problem dropping deer.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

I use a 99c in 308 for hunting, Still puts em down when i squeeze the trigger.

Semper Fi,

(Chester County)

Same here. Lyman peep sight. Dead accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma8541 View Post
    I use a 99c in 308 for hunting, Still puts em down when i squeeze the trigger.

Semper Fi,

(Wayne County)

I have a 30/30 in a model 99 it's the takedown model. It is the best lever action gun I ever shot. I killed alot of deer with it and I just recently retired it because it's very old and worth too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post
    I have a 30/30 in a model 99 it's the takedown model. It is the best lever action gun I ever shot. I killed alot of deer with it and I just recently retired it because it's very old and worth too much money.
    I'm sure we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, but what's the point of having a gun if you don't shoot it!? My 99 was made in 1939 and it's in great condition, but that doesn't stop me from trekking out into the woods with it rain, snow, or shine.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I'm sure we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, but what's the point of having a gun if you don't shoot it!? My 99 was made in 1939 and it's in great condition, but that doesn't stop me from trekking out into the woods with it rain, snow, or shine.
    Yeah I know what your saying I really miss hunting with that gun. Had alot of great memorys got my first doe with it when I was 15.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a 99c in 308. My dad gave it to me this past May as a bday present, so this will be the first year out with it for deer. I've had it to the range, LOVE the way it shoots. Great rifle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Allegheny County)

A 99f in 308 has been taking deer in my family for 3 generations. It's in great shape and no doubt will be knocking them down for at least a 4th.
    It's worth is not measured in dollars and cents. Its stories since 1950 are priceless.

(Somerset County)

I've got one in 358 Win. I don't know that I'd call it my primary as I have several deer rifles and try to hunt them all. It's a real thumper and leaves a blood trail a blind man could follow. It's a post million serial number but it works just fine.

I've semi-retired it (no lousy weather) since I heard of a similar one in a gunshop with a price tag of $1795. A couple of days earlier, I was sitting in the rain, looking at my son's Rem 700 SPS and my Savage and going hmmm...Ended up buying a Tikka SS/syn for crappy weather.

Last year at camp, 5 guys had 3 model 99's available. A 50's F in 300 Sav, a 50's EG in 300 Sav and my 358. A 4th guy owns a 99 (243) but had loaned it to his nephew.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Model 99 can probably be found here:

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...age_Collectors

Be sure to check out the 'stickied post' near the top titled 'misc good info'

JDC, I haven't seen your gun and I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but it may not be worth as much as you think. D&T, sling swivels, refinish/reblue, will all drop the value to a collector. There are plenty of 'hunting grade' 99's around so they're not worth the big bucks. I'd do the same with yours as I do with mine, hunt it on nice days.

Dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast