Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Anyone own a Romak III / Dragunov?

There are a couple sites that have parts kits and receivers in for these guns. For a little over $500 someone could build one.

I was wondering if anyone owns one of these and an AK or know about an AK. I have built several AKs without a hitch and was wondering how similiar the rivets are for the receiver. I'm considering buying the kits and building one.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Anyone own a Romak III / Dragunov?

first thing to know is the ROMAK III aka a PSL is not a dragunov, totally different animal, in all aspects aside from the caliber

that being said, the receiver is different for the 7.62x54R guns,a standard AK receiver wont fit to build a kit.

so before you start...is anybody actually making recievers for these guns?

I had one of them...it was neat, but without either handloading, or having access to the specific "sniper" ammo for the gun, you wont get the best accuracy out of it..further the barrel is VERY thin, and its very hard to keep the shots from stringing as it heats up.

I eventually got rid of mine, it looked neat, but the performance was lacking.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lebanon County)

From what I herd the Romak III isn't accurate (2MOA), and after a quick second shot it nearly over heats I guess from the metal being so thin leading to horrible groups. You're better off just scoping a GPWASR like I'll be doing to mine with about the same scope used on the Romak III.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    first thing to know is the ROMAK III aka a PSL is not a dragunov, totally different animal, in all aspects aside from the caliber

that being said, the receiver is different for the 7.62x54R guns,a standard AK receiver wont fit to build a kit.

so before you start...is anybody actually making recievers for these guns?

I had one of them...it was neat, but without either handloading, or having access to the specific "sniper" ammo for the gun, you wont get the best accuracy out of it..further the barrel is VERY thin, and its very hard to keep the shots from stringing as it heats up.

I eventually got rid of mine, it looked neat, but the performance was lacking.
    I'm not asking about the guns. I'm asking about the rivets in the guns. I know they are all different, but the rivets would be similiar. Did you ever look at the design of assembly as compared to the AK? I'm just curious if the rivets are the same.

There are production recievers and I found one seller that supposedly imported them from Romania (not sure if that is true or if they are old). I've found several receivers and parts kits after looking around and for about $600 I think it'd be another nifty toy

I know they over heat, I know their accuracy probably isn't the best, but I want the gun. For name sake alone.

I've owned a Romak III for many years. True it was not holding a group at all when I first started shooting it. After some tweaking and using only my reloads or very good ammo, (surplus is good for making some noise but not for consistency), I can keep a group down to four inches at 100 meters. One has to take great care after the first magazine, (ten rounds), the barrel will take a few layers of skin off. It's not a Dragunov but it is still a blast to shoot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by max762x51 View Post
    I've owned a Romak III for many years.
    Did you intend to attached a different photo? Your image is an SVD, not the PSL rifles (details) being discussed here.

The PSL's look like a fun rifle to shoot, and a bargain-priced semi-auto '54R chambered gun...at least they *were*.

Sorry about that, I guess the second pic didn't come through. Here it is. As you can see I left the familiar "plasticky' finish. I have some AK's that I took and sanded that finish off. I re stained with ebony stain. No reflections in the woods. Don't want to be seen.............................
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by max762x51 View Post
    ...I guess the second pic didn't come through.
    No problem, and don't be too quick to underestimate those PSLs. With SVT-40 costs rising, the PSL is an attractive option. You have a nice shootin' iron.

The only detail I found annoying was how they were advertised as SVDs when they were sold.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    There are production recievers and I found one seller that supposedly imported them from Romania (not sure if that is true or if they are old). I've found several receivers and parts kits after looking around and for about $600 I think it'd be another nifty toy.
    dont forget to add in the costs of your compliance parts.

an imported receiver would mean you would have to replace that with another compliance part as well.