Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default My first time shooting! *rant*

I just got back from a fun time at the range with my roommate. It was actually my very first time shooting a firearm, so it was pretty exciting. Oddly, I chose a snub-nosed .357 mag revolver (Taurus 617) for my first gun. Basically I wanted something concealable, affordable, and with good stopping power. I won't even consider carrying it until I get some training and a lot more practice, but it's nice to have it on hand. I also like being able to practice with fairly cheap 38 special shells.

The first thing that I noticed is that recoil, in general, is not as scary as I thought it was going to be, even shooting 125 grain .357 mag rounds. But man are they loud! I had ear plugs but they were still REALLY loud. I could feel the concussion in my chest and jaw. The second thing I noticed is that some combination of the lack of accuracy of a 2" barrel and our poor shooting skills made it impossible for me to hit the broad side of a barn at 25 yards. Next time I go out I'm definitely covering the cardboard with a large target, rather than putting a little circle on it so I can see where the bullets are going better. Maybe it will help me to figure out at what distance my sites are set for, how bad my personal accuracy is, or at least let me know beyond a doubt that my gun is incredibly inaccurate and to be used at short range only. I would also like to take a seasoned pro with me next time so I can really get some technique pointers, rather than just safety tips.

In a short time I'll be getting a CZ SP-01 9mm, which is said to be a pretty accurate gun, so I'll surely be able to learn more about myself and shooting in general when I take that out. I would have liked to have gone on the Scotia Range outing but I didn't have my gun in time. Next time though! Overall, it was a great experience.

-edit-

Oh ya, I also met a ranger named Jeff who was very friendly and talkative. He gave me some tips for what to do in my upcoming trip across country. The northwestern states sound beautiful.
    Last edited by righteousbarbarian; May 17th, 2007 at 09:22 PM.

(Blair County)

Default Re: My first time shooting! *rant*

Every Friday around lunchtime, a group of us from where I work heads out to Scotia. We have a wide variety of experience. My boss is an ex-Marine. He is pretty much the instructor. I have 20 years of shooting experience, and I learn something new every time I go shooting with him. If you can make it out, it's definitely worth the price of admission!

(Allegheny County)

Not sure why you called that a rant, but hey, glad you enjoyed yourself.

Don't beat yourself up... 25 yards w/a snub-nose? Start a bit closer if you can and yes, use a large piece of cardboard at first. At least if you're way off, you can see exactly where you're hitting in order to make any corrections.

Practice and I definitely recommend having someone give some instruction because it's hard to break bad habits(stance/grip/etc)if you start off doing it "wrong".

Welcome and enjoy your new toy(s)!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Beginner shooters should start at around 7 yards and work out to longer ranges as their skill increases. 75 feet is a long way for an accurate snub nose pistol.

(Centre County)

righteous,

Don't start out with full blown 357's. Get a box of 158 gr 38 specials or better yet if you know someone that reloads 357/38 have them load you some 148 gr wadcutter target loads. Starting out with magnums, especially if just learning to shoot can cause multiple bad habits to begin. The best way to start is with a 22 revolver then progress up in size and strength. If no 22 to use, go to light 38 specials, learn how to control the weapon, have an experienced shooter coach you (they can watch and be able to tell you what you may be doing, right and wrong). Do a lot of dry firing to learn trigger control and sight alignment.

By the way, my wife said a box from Buds Gun Shop arrived today (I'm in Detroit and will be home tomorrow (5/18). I'll give you a call in the evening to set up a time to come by.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Start shooting at close distance first then work your way to further distances.
    CZ75 P-01 & Colt AR-15 6920

(Luzerne County)

Starting out with a snub-nosed .357mag is definitely not the way to go. Nothing wrong with the gun, but for someone not used to shooting, you'd be better off burning up many boxes of .38 Spec before moving up to the .357mag.

And starting out at 25yds is also not the way to go, 7-10yds would be a much better choice.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    righteous,

Don't start out with full blown 357's. Get a box of 158 gr 38 specials or better yet if you know someone that reloads 357/38 have them load you some 148 gr wadcutter target loads. Starting out with magnums, especially if just learning to shoot can cause multiple bad habits to begin. The best way to start is with a 22 revolver then progress up in size and strength. If no 22 to use, go to light 38 specials, learn how to control the weapon, have an experienced shooter coach you (they can watch and be able to tell you what you may be doing, right and wrong). Do a lot of dry firing to learn trigger control and sight alignment.

By the way, my wife said a box from Buds Gun Shop arrived today (I'm in Detroit and will be home tomorrow (5/18). I'll give you a call in the evening to set up a time to come by.
    haha oh hi Ron! I may have to wait a few days on that because delays with my first transfer prevented me from getting my firearm until 5/15 and i don't want to break any laws or anger the feds by requesting transfers too close together. we can work it out in private though. i just wanted to warn you that i may have to wait. thanks for your tips too.

I think everyone is right, but I just had to shoot a few magnum rounds to see what they were like. the bulk of my practice was with 38 specials. I went again this morning for a short session at closer range and with a bigger target. I found both my and my roommate's shots were landing low and to the left. If this correction chart has any merit...

http://www.sportshooter.com/images/correction_chart.GIF

...there's a good chance that both my roommate and I have grip or trigger pulling flaws. next time i go out, it will be with someone with training. I know several people with military training who are eager to shoot with me and share their knowledge. I'd hate to have to break bad habits instead of learning it right the first time. I'll let you know how it goes next time. thanks for all the suggestions.

(Allegheny County)

also, don't neglect dry firing.

you shoud prolly dry fire 5 times for every actual shot you take.

it helps your muscles learn to press the trigger without moving the gun around.

concentrate on having the front sight not move at all while you are dry firing. keep doing it until you can balance a coin on the front sight will dry firing and not have it fall off...then keep doing it for the rest of your life.

also, get some instruction or at least look around the internet for write-ups on proper grip and trigger technique.

Quote Originally Posted by righteousbarbarian View Post
    I won't even consider carrying it until I get some training and a lot more practice.

I like you already...I wished more people would take the same approach as you. Too many wannabe's online that think they know it all about firearms because they watched a movie. Always be willing to learn from those that have good shooting habits. The worst thing any shooter can do is to develope bad habits.

I'd have to agree with Steve about the .357 mag. You definately want to practice with the 38 spl because it's a lot cheaper and the recoil won't beat you up.

You mentioned wanting a CZ SP 01...I own one and will say that if you ever want it for a carry piece, the SP 01 should be ruled out. It is one large beast of a pistol to shoot, unless you are some huge dude, I'd recommend something smaller. The P 01 or PCR or Compact CZs are the ones that you want to carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast