Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Scope ring question

Hello all! New to long range shooting and need some help. Purchased a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2. 34 mm tube 3-18 power. Looking for rings to purchase. Platform to start is an M1A. I was told to pick up rings with 20MOA and am looking at Spuhr rings. I'm concerned that since my stock doesn't have an adjustable comb that I won't get good cheek weld, so I need to better understand rings. What does the MOA adjustment help me with? Do I need 20? Lastly, those rings are pretty expensive. Vortex makes rings for a fraction of the cost. I know you get what you pay for, but I assume they can make rings as well as they make glass. Anybody have thoughts on the matter?

Default Re: Scope ring question

The 20 minute of angle canted slightly downward will allow you to see and zero where your bullet will strike.
    So...rule of thumb (the way I was told anyway) 1 MOA = 1" at 100 yards or 6 inches at 600 yards. 20 MOA = 200 inches at 1000 yards.

(Berks County)

Right, the MOA rail just has your scope automatically angled 20 moa up - to give you more more adjustment room on your scope turrets when you're shooting long distance. I have a buddy with a M1A set up for long range, but I have yet to have a chance to shoot it. I've heard getting rings mounted on a M1A can sometimes be finicky - but that's not from personal experience. They make those raised cheek rests for rifles & a lot of the "sniper" style M1A's I've seen online have them.

Vortex rings are probably fine, but if you've got a ton of money invested in your glass & rifle, the place to skimp is probably not the metal holding them together.

(Montgomery County)

Ok... Thanks guys...

The Vortex rings are made by Seekins which are very good rings. Spuhr make some very nice products, but you are going to pay an insane amount of money...partially due to them being produced in Europe. I say get the Seekins and call it a day.

I always go with 20MOA bases due to the fact that it will allow you to make more adjustments for ELR shots. Since this is going on an M1A...I wouldn't say you need a 20MOA base as the 308 isn't exactly an XLR caliber.

I would say get Sadlak mount for M1A and be happy...you don't need to reinvent the wheel as there are thousands of M1A owners that use Sadlak mounts.
    http://sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_sm.html

(Monroe County)

Unless you are shooting beyond 800y or using a ancient scope, 20 MOA mounts are needless, gear queering. Spend your money on better glass, mounts, or ammo.

YMMV