Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Fire destroys West York gun range

Fire destroys West York gun range

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/2016/0...york/91348154/

Round after round of ammunition popped off inside the West York Sporting Goods store Friday night after a fire broke out inside the public indoor shooting range.

Firefighters from several local companies responded to the range around 6 p.m., and were met with heavy smoke. No one was inside when fire crews arrived, and no injuries were reported, fire officials said.

By 6:20 p.m., flames were shooting through the roof and, 20 minutes later, residents standing on West Market Street could hear a popping noise coming from the building.

For the next several hours, firefighters sprayed the large building down with water, both by hoses on the ground and from up high on ladder trucks. The blaze was upgraded to three alarms.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

(Erie County)

Default Re: Fire destroys West York gun range

Because of this event, will the political landscape change, more laws implemented in PA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

I was surprised to learn that unburnt propellants accumulate if the range is not kept clean. A burning particle landing upon the accumulation can ignite it. Dunno if that's the cause there, but it was the explanation re a range local to me.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I was surprised to learn that unburnt propellants accumulate if the range is not kept clean. A burning particle landing upon the accumulation can ignite it. Dunno if that's the cause there, but it was the explanation re a range local to me.
    Doubtful. Mixed in with other dust and dirt that settles out, I'd imagine you'd have to have a pretty deep layer on the floor for there to be enough unburnt powder laying there to catch a building on fire.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Doubtful. Mixed in with other dust and dirt that settles out, I'd imagine you'd have to have a pretty deep layer on the floor for there to be enough unburnt powder laying there to catch a building on fire.
    Having worked a public range I can tell you it's doesn't take very much to start a fire. We used to shop vac the floors down range every week or two. I remember one fire starting only a few hours after I just vaced the floor.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I've known of this back during my active duty days for indoor gun ranges. That green powder that accumulates onto the ground is unspent gunpowder and can become a real problem if not cleaned up.

It's only feet from gas pumps too, so a fire is extra dangerous there. Wonder if they'll be rebuilt. The only other indoor range in YorkCo that I know of is Freedom Armory and they're expensive.

I wonder how the inventory fared.

This place was always shady/scary when I've visited it, about 4 times. The staff, the clientele, the location...just never felt comfortable there. The owner is a loose cannon too, I witnessed him on a profanity-full tirade at his accountant in front of customers, calling her the worst names you can think of.

I never did hear the outcome of an investigation from a few years ago when a young man was shot in the head there...whether it was suicide of an accident.
    Last edited by alpacaheat; October 3rd, 2016 at 10:46 AM.

(Cumberland County)

I went there only once, years ago, on a "fact finding" mission. Something about the place just didn't feel right, so I never went back.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    I went there only once, years ago, on a "fact finding" mission. Something about the place just didn't feel right, so I never went back.
    You're a cop?

Or a hitman?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    You're a cop?

Or a hitman?
    Neither or both. I'll let you decide.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown