Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 22 revolver accuracy?

I was getting 3 to 4 inch groups at 25 yards. My revolver has a6.5 inch barrel. I was using CCI ammo.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: 22 revolver accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    I was getting 3 to 4 inch groups at 25 yards. My revolver has a6.5 inch barrel. I was using CCI ammo.
    What's your question? 3-4" groups at 25 isn't terrible accuracy at all. Depending on what gun it is it could be very good or just ho-hum.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    What's your question? 3-4" groups at 25 isn't terrible accuracy at all. Depending on what gun it is it could be very good or just ho-hum.
    I was just wondering if those were ok groups for a 22 sa revolver. It's a Heritage arms with a 6.5 inch barrel. I was just resting my hands on the shooting table when shooting. It hits a little low at that distance so I need to aim a little high. It has fixed sights.

(Lycoming County)

I was just wondering if those were ok groups for a 22 sa revolver. It's a Heritage arms with a 6.5 inch barrel. I was just resting my hands on the shooting table when shooting. It hits a little low at that distance so I need to aim a little high. It has fixed sights.
    Fixed sight heritage, I'd say that's pretty good. Maybe some room for improvement, but it doesn't exactly have target sights or anything. I can do a little better than that with my single six, but it has much better sights. With my dad's heritage, I would probably be right in that ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Fixed sight heritage, I'd say that's pretty good. Maybe some room for improvement, but it doesn't exactly have target sights or anything. I can do a little better than that with my single six, but it has much better sights. With my dad's heritage, I would probably be right in that ballpark.
    I just need to practice and do it at a closer range. I have no experience with handguns. Overall I think I did well for my first time shooting a revolver in over 12 years. I got good groups with the CCI ammo. The Winchester hollow points didn't group as well.

(Lycoming County)

I just need to practice and do it at a closer range. I have no experience with handguns. Overall I think I did well for my first time shooting a revolver in over 12 years. I got good groups with the CCI ammo. The Winchester hollow points didn't group as well.
    I'm not a big fan of Winchester ammo in general. If the cci grouped better, I'd stick with that. Cci is generally more consistent than Winchester in my experience anyways.

(Indiana County)

Sounds OK for the handgun and your experience.

Try finding some standard velocity ammo if you were using high velocity, might help.
    My .22 revolvers seem to prefer standard velocity.

(Bucks County)

For shooting groups and testing a firearm for accuracy use they same sight picture and concentrate on the target every shot. It does not matter where the bullet hits. That will tell you what the firearm can do. Use a smaller black target (1 inch) and give it a 6:00 sight picture every shot. Rest between shots and concentrate. Don't even bother trying to shoot groups with a 6-12 inch target at that distance (I have seem MANY people do this)

Hitting the point of aim every time is a totally different question and takes more skill. Especially with a fixed sight pistol. Any attempt to compensate while shooting groups will likely give bigger groups.

Practice,Practice,Practice................

Thanks for the advice. I need to use a solid rest as well. I was still shaky with my hands rested on the table. I'll get some sand bags and try at ten yards next time. Once I am good there I'll practice at larger distances. I think the gun was worth the money. It functioned fine and the trigger is smooth. The sights are a pain but I'll get used to them. I noticed that a lot of "trick shooters" don't even use sights. They learn to shoot by instinct.

(Bucks County)

For a cheap rest, get a 5lb bag of rice and stitch or glue it inside an old pant leg. Take the pants off first for best results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast