Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ruger mk3 22/45 and Taurus 1911 opinions

I had wondered if it was possible for the 22/45 to chamber 45. rounds with a barrel fitted to such a size...Though somewhere along the line someone said the only reason for it's name was that it's grip and safeties are similar to a colt 1911.
    This seems to be the more likely option.

Failing that, I would prefer a 1911...though considering the exorbitant cost of the brand name alone for a colt, I was wondering if the Taurus is is substandard simply in name, or mechanically as well.
    The reasoning behind this all is a little more than plinking. Once I get out (of the air force, coming up in september) I plan to go security, and while I know virtually any force of authority is virtually always uniform, if possible, I'd love use a weapon that I can really enjoy.

Sigs are good, but expensive (quality however). Glocks are deadly efficient, but in my opinion, just plain ugly. The colt 1911 is too rich for my blood (Considering If a ruger can indeed be converted, I could purchase it and convert it while saving quite a bit as compared to a 1911) though the Taurus might show some promise, and while in my opinion the Plr-16 is quite possibly the wonder "pistol". Most people probably don't like the idea of a guard carrying a half-carbine with .556 (I really don't see anything short of contractors in the sandbox playing with these buggers.)

So there's my options...sadly, google has failed me in regards to what is restricted for civilian guard jobs, and the aforementioned question of the 22/45. So I would be very appreciative to anyone who can help me out here.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ruger mk3 22/45 and Taurus 1911 opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Siomasm View Post
    I had wondered if it was possible for the 22/45 to chamber 45. rounds with a barrel fitted to such a size...Though somewhere along the line someone said the only reason for it's name was that it's grip and safeties are similar to a colt 1911.
    This seems to be the more likely option.

Failing that, I would prefer a 1911...though considering the exorbitant cost of the brand name alone for a colt, I was wondering if the Taurus is is substandard simply in name, or mechanically as well.
    The reasoning behind this all is a little more than plinking. Once I get out (of the air force, coming up in september) I plan to go security, and while I know virtually any force of authority is virtually always uniform, if possible, I'd love use a weapon that I can really enjoy.

Sigs are good, but expensive (quality however). Glocks are deadly efficient, but in my opinion, just plain ugly. The colt 1911 is too rich for my blood (Considering If a ruger can indeed be converted, I could purchase it and convert it while saving quite a bit as compared to a 1911) though the Taurus might show some promise, and while in my opinion the Plr-16 is quite possibly the wonder "pistol". Most people probably don't like the idea of a guard carrying a half-carbine with .556 (I really don't see anything short of contractors in the sandbox playing with these buggers.)

So there's my options...sadly, google has failed me in regards to what is restricted for civilian guard jobs, and the aforementioned question of the 22/45. So I would be very appreciative to anyone who can help me out here.

I have a Ruger MKIII 22/45 and I love shooting it. It's a fantastic pistol. I currently daydream about owning a Taurus PT1911 stainless model.

To answer your first question about converting a MKIII to fire .45 rounds... Nope.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lackawanna County)

i don't anything about the Ruger, but i do own the Taurus 1911, and so far, no problems. Taurus isn't the only company making quality 1911s at decent prices; STI, Rock Island Armory/Armscor, Springfield Armory, and Pra Ordnance all have models for under $700. the RIA, for example, can be had for under $500, and have been getting good reviews from guys who know their 1911s.

(Centre County)

The Ruger MKIII 22/45 is a 22LR only. The grip frame is the same angle as a 1911 that is why it is called that. It gives someone that shoots a 1911 type gun something to practice with without changing their grip. There is non way that you could do anything to it to get it to shoot .45 cal rounds.

As said there are many entry level 1911's on the market. I have a Taurus and 2 RIAs (GI model that I tricked out and the tactical model). All three shoot very well. For the price the Taurus gives you a lot of the bells and whistles without breaking the bank.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member