Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: fun range games

(Dauphin County)

Default fun range games

We all know that target shooting is fun, but I was wondering if anyone has come up with some fun range games. I saw people posting some fairly interesting ones on the "online target competition" (like the "shoot the smiley face").

The only one that I know of is "Distance Poker". In that you deal cards to a few players (2-5 players, ten cards each), then you try to shoot the best 5 card hand. You are only allowed 5 shots and if you miss and hit the wrong card, you might have to make a different hand. Wagering is recommended but not completely necessary.

If anyone knows of any others, please share them here so that we might all enjoy them.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: fun range games

We did a similar thing at turkey shoots at our club. We'd staple an entire deck of cards FACE DOWN on a pallet. Everyone kicked in a buck...you got 5 shots. The cards you hit were your hand. Winner got the pot. There were a few times that somebody only hit 2 cards but got a pair and won.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Lehigh County)

In my family we have the "budwieser challenge". (don't freak out yet) Let me start with the back story, I will keep it short. In the movie Clear and Present Danger the scene where the sniper stalks and gets very close to the instructor... My brother and I were watching this while drinking a few beers, he claimed there is no way someone could sneak up on him in the woods especially with a rifle... I then of course challenged him and we made our normal wager. (a case of beer) My dad and cousin heard about it and they got into this mess as well. The rules were defined:
    1. Observers drink beer and place empty cans 10 feet to the far side of the cooler (away from them)
    2. Shooter can stalk from any direction but must shoot away from observers, who must not hide behind the cans. (this rule was added after the first attempt because my brother built a wall around him with the cans so I could not shoot with out going thru the can and risk hitting him)
    3. Shooter must get close enough to "plink" a beer can with an Air Rilfle or pay for the beer for all the observers.
    4. If the shooter is spotted prior to the shot, he hast to buy the observer who spots first a case of beer.
    5. If the shooter hits the can with first shot and is still not detected (with in 1 min)he gets 2 cases from each observer.
    6. Observers get to pick the location for the cooler and observation post, but must inform the shooter of the location.
    7. Time limit defined the day of the event (depending on location of the OP from the agreed upon start point)
    8. Observers will wear long sleeves, jeans and safety glasses.

Note: No "high power" air rifles are used so the distance of the shots are typically within 20yds. I am not suggesting this be attempted with out a certain amount of trust between participants.

Since my brother built himself a "wall" with beer cans I could not take the shot, they won the first time... He got to name the challenge.

Not sure if it was the 3rd or 4th time through this... we switched to paintball markers but all the rules remained the same except we shoot each other. It really is a lot of fun... and at the end we end up having a few beers together.
    Last edited by ReconLdr; March 30th, 2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Edit in bold
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Westmoreland County)

We used to do little games at the end of our practice sessions for beers afterward.

Some of the stuff we did was:

Bill Drills for best time for 6 alpha's.
    Fast draws for a alpha hit. I think the fastest time was .52 seconds.
    Steel plates at 100 yards from the draw.
    Clay birds at 80 yards from the draw.
    Steel plates with stop plates.
    Golf balls or bottle caps
    Tighest group
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    We used to do little games at the end of our practice sessions for beers afterward.

Some of the stuff we did was:

Bill Drills for best time for 6 alpha's.
    Fast draws for a alpha hit. I think the fastest time was .52 seconds.
    Steel plates at 100 yards from the draw.
    Clay birds at 80 yards from the draw.
    Steel plates with stop plates.
    Golf balls or bottle caps
    Tighest group
    Golf balls are fun... we used to throw them into the field calc/estimate range and shoot em... the more you shootem the further they go away from you... adjust scope or use hold off and hit em again... last one to hit wins... Haven't played this in a while... friend sold the farm
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Adams County)

Those little multicolored lollipops as targets. Reactive, cheap, and approximately one inch in diameter, an "easy shot" for a good marksman, like we were all supposed to be. From 100 yards with a scoped rifle.

Five card stud. Cards glued in random fashion to a board. You get five shots. The best five wins. If you missed a flier, you might have to go for four of a kind. From unknown distance, so you had to do your range estimation, windage, etc., calibrations. And all shooters were firing at the same time, so you had to be quick, because once a card was hit, it was that shooter's.

(Berks County)

Tennis Ball Keepy Uppy.

We play this at our local range, where the 50yrd berm is exposed and has a decent slope to it. Place a tennis ball at the bottom of the hill, and figure out a rotation for all shooters. Each shooter shoots in sequence at the ball, knocking it up the berm with each shot, and it rolls back down. If the ball reaches back to the bottom of the hill (where our backstops are) on your turn, you lose. Each shooter can take multiple shots until they hit or the ball rolls down, and we figure out how many 'rounds' we can go based on everyone's mag capacity. Its really a blast with bolt rifles and 2-4 people. Can also use items like tin cans, 1 or 2 liter bottles, or 5 gallon plastic buckets for shotguns.

(Montgomery County)

I like the budweiser challenge, that sounds like a lot of fun.

(Philadelphia County)

Old thread I know, but the trainer came up with a new "game" for pistol.

Three rounds into two 3" targets (standard body armor drill -- two chest, one face) in 4 seconds.

At 25 yards.

Sounds easy but try doing it over and over. Any miss and you sit out until everyone is out. You don't want to miss.