Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default CC without a holster?

Hey guys, I ALWAYS carry my gun in public in an IWB holster, I have a bersa thunder 380. My friend however has a keltec p11 and NEVER carries it in a holster. He either carries in a pocket, or between underwear and pants. I told him his method of carrying is not a very good idea without a half way decent holster and most times looks like a thug. Am I justified in saying this? Do any of you guys carry without a holster on you personally? This is excluding purses and fanny packs.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: CC without a holster?

Let's see...if in the pocket without a pocket holster, he'll get all that pocket crud into the barrel. Not that I think a little bit of crud would foul it up enough to keep it from firing properly, but why take the chance?

To carry in the "thug" style is just inviting trouble. The gun could slide down into his pants and be inaccessible when he needs it most. I think it might be much easier for it to be taken from him in a hand-to-hand struggle if it's not secured properly in a holster.

Just my $.02, FWIW.
    Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by c_brutsche View Post
    Hey guys, I ALWAYS carry my gun in public in an IWB holster, I have a bersa thunder 380. My friend however has a keltec p11 and NEVER carries it in a holster. He either carries in a pocket, or between underwear and pants. I told him his method of carrying is not a very good idea without a half way decent holster and most times looks like a thug. Am I justified in saying this? Do any of you guys carry without a holster on you personally? This is excluding purses and fanny packs.
    once in a very great while, i'll CC without a holster. you know, just throw that snubbie in a coat pocket and go. full size 1911s are a little harder to do it with, but i've done it. i'm onlky afraid of it sliding down my pants leg and dropping to the floor.

if you're going to pocket carry a small semiauto, then i think you should use a pocket holster, to help keep lint and dirt out of it. it's not so much of an issue with revolvers, i think.

also, if he's concealed, how does it make him look like a thug? it's not like anyone can see it, right? don't be so judgemental.

(Chester County)

ok true he is not being a "thug", but i do keep telling him the his gun when he carries it IWB without a holster could slip and possibly fall out. if he is in a department store with panicky people he could be in big trouble. i do agree with however is a jacket pocket with no holster is completely acceptable

(Allegheny County)

Yes, you are justified.
    No, I wouldn't(don't)carry without a holster.

I can't imagine carring a P-11 in my pocket, but I'd most certainly use a nylon holster at a minimum if I were to do so. Keeping the trigger covered is an important aspect of preventing my balls from potentially being shot off.

Stuffing a handgun in your pants is a poor choice as well as you have no real control over it.

I wouldn't want to hang around someone who doesn't care to properly secure his/her firearm, although it may be that he's a decent enough person that just isn't as informed as he could be. Hopefully you can talk some sense into him.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Beg your friend not to carry without a holster. At least not IWB

He might pull a Plaxico
    Last edited by Geronimo509; December 13th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.

(Berks County)

I carried a Colt Vest Pocket in my vest pocket naked, pocket holster elsewhere.
    But on a few occassions I just have thrown my 38 snub or my PPK in a coat pocket , no holster.
    As for in the pants, nope, always a holster!

Regards,
    LnL
    Last edited by loknload; December 13th, 2009 at 05:45 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by c_brutsche View Post
    ok true he is not being a "thug", but i do keep telling him the his gun when he carries it IWB without a holster could slip and possibly fall out. if he is in a department store with panicky people he could be in big trouble. i do agree with however is a jacket pocket with no holster is completely acceptable
    I wouldn't go so far as to say "completely".
    It depends on the model of handgun, type of trigger, location/shape of pocket, etc...

The important part is to prevent the handgun from discharging unintentionally, whether by being smooshed around in a pocket, or in the process of drawing said weapon from the pocket in the event that is needed in a hurry.

A handgun is best kept in a secure holster, on a sturdy belt, keeping it ready in the same position at all times. Try repeatedly practicing a draw with a weapon that isn't kept in the same place and it may become clearer as to what I'm saying.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

why not just buy him one, say, for X-mas? the one Desantis makes is pretty cheap. even an Uncle Mike's is better than nothing. not much better, but better.

(Wayne County)

I carry my KelTec PF9 IWB @ 4-o-clock w/ just the belt clip. FOR ME, it's more secure this way than when I carried it in any of three different IWB holsers ranging from el cheapo Uncle Mike's to High Noon tuckables. I also find it to print less and be more comfortable.

I've never had issue w/ it falling out. The clip may come unclipped when dropping your pants in the restroom but, I've had that happen w/ holsters also. You just need to pay attention to what you're doing then.

RE: lint. My PF-9 is always sandwiched between denim and a cotton T-shirt or denim and cotton flannel. I have not had any issue w/ the build up of lint. I try to clean it at least every second week but, have let it go for almost a month before w/ no real issue.

The main reason that I try to give it a good cleaning frequently, especially in the summer, is sweat. I personally believe sweat will do more to crap up the gun than lint. In mid-summer, I'll give it a quick external wipe w/ a lightly oiled cloth every night before it goes into the safe until morning.

Others here my disagree w/ this but, that's my take on it. I hope it helps.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast