Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default rem 700 barrel lenths

im looking at the remington 700 sps .308
    seems like longest (factory) barrel length is 26"....?

(Somerset County)

Default Re: rem 700 barrel lenths

the 26" barrell is the longest i have seen also. I have been looking into getting a 308 heavy barrell for a while and that seems to be the norm from all the gun manufactures. I did read some very interesting articles on the 20" barrell actually being more accurate with 308 and remington does make a 20" version of the SPS with a heavy barrell. although you loose a little velosity it seems to make it up with a little better accuracy. if you plan on target shooting velosity doesn't matter but if you are hunting you will need to decide if the accuracy makes up for the loss of maybe 100 FPS. I can order a Savage with a heavy barrell for about $500 and the Remingtons run anywhere from $650 to $800 depending on the model. All the savages i have are accurate right out of the box but there are a lot more aftermarket products available for the Rem 700.

Default Re: rem 700 barrel lenths

Quote Originally Posted by gunowner1982 View Post
    im looking at the remington 700 sps .308
    seems like longest (factory) barrel length is 26"....?
    Longest factory barrel you're going to find on any Remington 700 is going to be 26". To be honest, I don't know why you would want anything longer, for most practical applications anyway. There is lots of debate about 20" tubes, for most people's purposes, they are just as accurate, although in some shooters hands (especially those that don't follow through as well), they're actually more accurate. It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If you're not hand loading your own rounds, you can have a lot of trouble getting a .308 with a 20" tube, to 1,000 yards. Not because people don't have enough elevation, but because the bullet is already going trans sonic at that range. Some 20" barreled rifles can get FGMM to shoot to 1,000 yards, but many times that will also depend on what altitude, temperature, and humidity that people are shooting in. Hope that helps.