Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Picking the appropriate handgun

I'm a newbie and about to purchase my first handgun and fill out my LTCF application. I've been shooting hunting rifles/shotguns all my life but never a handgun. I'm looking to use it for target shooting (range) as well as home protection. I'm looking for something that is semi-auto, on the smaller side. Any help for a novice would be greatly appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Picking the appropriate handgun

welcome to PAFOA!

you will get many opinions on this matter.

perhaps the best one is "try to either go to a range that rents different guns or find some buddies that have different guns and try them out to see what gun fits your hand well and what gun you can shoot well".

well, really the best advice is "buy a glock"

...and choose 9mm because the ammo is cheaper and so you can practice more which means you will be able to shoot it better.

so, that leaves you with basically the choice of a glock 17 (full-sized), glock 19 ("compact") or glock 26 ("subcompact").

personally, i carry the glock 17. i like full sized guns because they are easier to shoot accurately and quickly and i don't have any trouble concealing it, so i have no incentive to pick a smaller one.

other people have trouble comfortably concealing a full sized pistol and opt for one of the smaller ones. for this reason, a glock 19 is considered by many to be the perfect CCW gun.

i'm sure many others will be along with other opinions, though...

(Delaware County)

1. Shoot as many different models as you can & find out what you like/dislike!

After that it's up to you.

I bought my first handgun about 1 year ago and since I was new to things and on a budget I went with the S&W Sigma sw9ve (9mm similar in size to the G19 & here is a link to a review of the gun http://www.gunblast.com/SWSigma9.htm ). I have had no issues whatsoever & for the price I don't think it can be beat, but that's just my opinion & you know what they say ...

Well good luck, have fun & be safe!
    Last edited by libertarian; April 24th, 2008 at 05:01 PM.
    Useless laws weaken the necessary laws.

(Berks County)

As much as LRT and others on this forum love their Glocks, and they are fine handguns I own two myself, I would suggest that you go with the first suggestion that he made. Go to a store that has its own range and rents handguns, rent several that catch your eye and fire them. It doesn't matter if they are the same caliber as long as they are at least 9mm or more. Every person is different and what I like you may not, find one that is comfortable in your hand, you are more apt to fire it more often. Good luck and have fun in your search. Be warned thoug, handguns are addictive.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Luzerne County)

Welcome to the forum. Do you have any ideas ast what you want?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    As much as LRT and others on this forum love their Glocks, and they are fine handguns I own two myself, I would suggest that you go with the first suggestion that he made.
    absolutely...

i was just throwing in my 2 cents, but as bill and a couple of others pointed out, there really is no one-size-fits-all answer. you need to find out what works for you.

(though i do think there is some objective logic behind the argument to go with 9mm if you do not reload because the ammo is cheaper and you can shoot it more. but, there are many who won't agree with that either.)

(Delaware County)

Thanks all for the quick responses. I think I will follow the advise to find a shop that has its own range and rents so I can try a few different models. Any suggestions on where to find one of those in Delaware County?

(Berks County)

One piece of advise that might help you is do you want or like the classic style or the new military style. That could help you decide if you want a 1911 or one of the newer style handguns. The biggest problem you will encounter is they all have their good and bad points.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Cambria County)

I own both a glock and S&W m&p.I would suggest the m&p because you can change grip size.Around here you can pick them up for around $400.

(Chester County)

Exactly go to a shop that rents handguns or go with your friends to the range. Find what you like what fits your hand. Take your time it is not a purchase that should be hurried into. Next as I am a huge Glock fan I would if it fits your hand and you like it a Glock, they are IMHO the finest combat handgun ever made. Is the 1911 a fantastic pistol you bet your ass it is, but it can't stand up to the torture that a Glock can. Oh yeah btw welcome to the forum.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast