Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Myerstown rod and gun club

Just picked up an application for Myerstown range, was wondering if anyone else is a member there, how organized they are ect..

(Berks County)

Default Re: Myerstown rod and gun club

I was a member there for years, I grew up in Myerstown and sent many rounds down range there. I will say that I have not renewed my membership in a few years. The last few times I was there I had a few bad experiences with some others who were there. Honestly I think they should do a better job screening the applications. If your a reloader keep a good eye over your shoulder, there was a guy who used to come and scarf up your brass before it hit the ground! He even went as far as picked up a box of brass off the bench I was shooting from.

It's not a bad range, however its setup for rifle more than a pistol range. You can walk out closer to the backstop if you want to shoot closer than 25 yards as long as there is nobody shooting at 25 or 50 yards. I have no idea how full it gets anymore but it used to get full a few years ago.

If your from the Myerstown area there are a few other ranges in the area that I can say I liked better in recent years. Northern Berks in Bethel right off 501 before you get to 78, is a nice quiet range that doesn't get crowded. Again setup mainly for rifle with backstops at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards.
    Heidelberg Sportsmen Association in Schaefferstown is by far better than both. They have a dedicated pistol range with target stands that you can move to the distance you want from 3 yards to about 21 yards. The rifle range is split in two sections with one section being 100 and 200 yards. The other section with 25, 50 and 75 yards. The only thing to mention is Heidelberg is a club for shooters, they do have club sanctioned shoots on the weekends, and to some its an inconvenience that the range is closed.

I belong, have for 30 years, I only go there to work up loads. It is just too close not to belong for me.

They have trap shoots, but that's the only organized shoots.

I've never encountered the "brass whore", but I have had one of the officers question what I was doing on a Sunday morning just after shooting time started(?).
    I've practiced for NRA Highpower there, but again I've had the same officer show up questioning my "rapid firing".
    I explained what I was doing, & he was OK with it. 10 rds in 60 seconds.
    I think he lives just across RT 501.
    I'm not sure if he is still an Officer or not.

I do most of my shooting at Tulpehocken Rifle & Pistol Club, Pine Grove.

http://www.tulprpc.org/
    Last edited by GUNGUY45; February 3rd, 2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: added link
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Lebanon County)

10 rounds in under 10 seconds is rapid fire. 60 seconds, hardly.

(Northumberland County)

Necro thread, but felt it worth updating based on major changes I noticed. Was a member for some years before moving away. Dad stayed a member. Went out together to see how it was, and see if they had applications so I could shoot with dad when visiting him. Was greeted by numerous changes from the last time I was there, including signs saying "no centerfire semiauto rifles", "no guests", etc. On the plus side, they did clean up the shooting benches and pavilion....truly much nicer than they used to be.

But a good way to alienate a large portion of gun owners nonetheless, especially with no centerfire semiauto rifles. Things had been a bit Fudd-y while I was still a member, and look to have gotten worse while I was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Necro thread, but felt it worth updating based on major changes I noticed. Was a member for some years before moving away. Dad stayed a member. Went out together to see how it was, and see if they had applications so I could shoot with dad when visiting him. Was greeted by numerous changes from the last time I was there, including signs saying "no centerfire semiauto rifles", "no guests", etc. On the plus side, they did clean up the shooting benches and pavilion....truly much nicer than they used to be.

But a good way to alienate a large portion of gun owners nonetheless, especially with no centerfire semiauto rifles. Things had been a bit Fudd-y while I was still a member, and look to have gotten worse while I was gone.
    Yes, they've gone full FUDD.
    They now also require a background check to become a member.
    I quit a few years ago due to their policies.

There is a rumor that they may ban ALL semi firearms, rimfire, & handguns included.
    At this point it's just a rumor.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Berks County)

Now that is Fudd like indeed!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by GUNGUY45 View Post
    Yes, they've gone full FUDD.
    They now also require a background check to become a member.
    I quit a few years ago due to their policies.

There is a rumor that they may ban ALL semi firearms, rimfire, & handguns included.
    At this point it's just a rumor.

Guys check out University Rifle Club. URC has members from out of state, so it must be worth the drive, right? URC has night shoots, allows up to 50BMG, full auto shoots, and lots of other shooting events. However, we do require a background check to become a full member. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3-RSSUYBK1kZzI
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Guys check out University Rifle Club. URC has members from out of state, so it must be worth the drive, right? URC has night shoots, allows up to 50BMG, full auto shoots, and lots of other shooting events. However, we do require a background check to become a full member. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3-RSSUYBK1kZzI
    when is the next orientation

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    when is the next orientation
    Typically, it should be the first weekend of every month. However, January 1st, is a holiday. I believe it will be the following weekend, however I will confirm and let you know.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast