Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question Online Transfer FFL Etiquette

I have some questions about FFL etiquette! I've only purchased two guns online before, so my experience is pretty limited. Also, this is my first time using this particular FFL.

My particular situation is like this: The FFL I used is open 7 days a week according to their site, and the gun I purchased online was delivered Thursday. I emailed them the week before to check that they were open and taking online orders, which they responded to instantly. I also sent an email out the day before the gun was supposed to be delivered, just verifying what I got and all of my contact info.

I haven't heard from them yet, but I'm trying not to be a ball buster, so I haven't called them.

I'm wondering what timeframe I should look at in terms of calling them, even though I sent an email already last week. I was thinking maybe a week since the gun's delivery would be long enough?

I'm assuming every FFL is pretty swamped right now, what do you all think? My old FFL would contact me pretty much immediately after the package was signed for, but that's probably an exception and not the rule, and it wasn't during the pandemic.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Online Transfer FFL Etiquette

Every one is swamped right now and sometimes guns come in with no info so you don't who to cal and sometimes you can't get a hold of the dealer who sent it,sometimes they provide bad phone numbers for customers , I would call the dealer and verify your firearm is there and ask when you can come in for your transfer. Some are doing everything by appointment only. Sat morning by 8:20 am I had a line of people waiting to do transfers, one guy left never did find out why he stopped by. I did not recognize him so I really don't know what came in for.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ccprince View Post
    I have some questions about FFL etiquette! I've only purchased two guns online before, so my experience is pretty limited. Also, this is my first time using this particular FFL.

My particular situation is like this: The FFL I used is open 7 days a week according to their site, and the gun I purchased online was delivered Thursday. I emailed them the week before to check that they were open and taking online orders, which they responded to instantly. I also sent an email out the day before the gun was supposed to be delivered, just verifying what I got and all of my contact info.

I haven't heard from them yet, but I'm trying not to be a ball buster, so I haven't called them.

I'm wondering what timeframe I should look at in terms of calling them, even though I sent an email already last week. I was thinking maybe a week since the gun's delivery would be long enough?

I'm assuming every FFL is pretty swamped right now, what do you all think? My old FFL would contact me pretty much immediately after the package was signed for, but that's probably an exception and not the rule, and it wasn't during the pandemic.
    You could always just call and ask when a good time to come in would be. Be polite and understanding.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

^This.

It is not being a ball buster to call someone. It is an active and decent form of communication. Additionally, sales are absolutely unprecedented now and have been for a while. Normies are waking up to the fact that no one is coming to save you. To say that FFLs are busy would be like saying "China has a lot of people."
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Centre County)

Don't know how other FFLs do it but here's what I do: Typically my customer will call or email me telling me they have ordered a gun from so and so and having it delivered to me. I tell them that when it arrives and I have it logged into my books, I will contact them to let them know. I tell them that once I contact them, they can come in any time I'm open and I'll take care of them (I not a huge operation and my gunsmith/Cerakote business is run out of my home.) I does bug me when I have someone call me 5 minutes after they get a FedEx or UPS notification that the gun was delivered/signed for. I have one particular person who does this repeatedly even though not to and I tell him I will contact him.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up leaving a VM since there was no answer, which is a bit worrying for me since I don't really know what I can do if I can't get into contact with him. I guess I'll try again tomorrow or Wednesday, not much else I can do haha.

(Monroe County)

I ask people give me a day to check it in and call them but it's been a week, yea a I'm checking on this call isn't rude.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

My FFL is a smaller shop, but I usually just show up when tracking says delivered. I don't call them and they don't call me. They're on file at most online retailers. I don't believe he logs anything in his books until the customer personally opens the package. In normal times it's an in/out in 10 minute thing depending on how much BSing happens.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ccprince View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up leaving a VM since there was no answer, which is a bit worrying for me since I don't really know what I can do if I can't get into contact with him. I guess I'll try again tomorrow or Wednesday, not much else I can do haha.
    I guess your younger than I am.

I call the ffl and talk to them as soon as the order is placed if the ffl was picked from the online dear*s list.

I track it and call the dealer when it is delivered and ask when I can come and complete the sale.

People are flesh and blood, they respond to live people much better than the ways you are using.

Even in this b.s. COVID world relationships are developed face to face. Pafoa could be an exception but because of rallies and shoots and the occasional transaction.

They probably are waiting for you to pick it up.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    My FFL is a smaller shop, but I usually just show up when tracking says delivered. I don't call them and they don't call me. They're on file at most online retailers. I don't believe he logs anything in his books until the customer personally opens the package. In normal times it's an in/out in 10 minute thing depending on how much BSing happens.
    I bet you know them and they know you. That works well for regulars. First time should have some calls.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast