Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Shipping rifle to FFL in NC - which carrier is best, or should I go thru FFL?

Hello all,

Shipped guns in the past; a long gun (insured) to an FFL in Jersey on my own via UPS. Outfreakinrageously expensive.

Used an FFL to ship a handgun (insured) to another FFL out of state - don't know who my FFL used, but it was affordable.

After reading several threads and the sticky, I can use USPS, UPS, or FedEx to ship a rifle to an FFL in NC - but can anyone recommend which carrier to use that isn't going to double the cost of the sale with crazy rates??

Or; should I just use the local FFL again - as I am sure he has commercial accounts and won't get me bent over. My only issue with the local FFL is he is busier than a one-armed paper hanger...

Thanks!
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Default Re: Shipping rifle to FFL in NC - which carrier is best, or should I go thru FFL?

For a long gun, USPS Priority Mail is probably the cheapest.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Shipping rifle to FFL in NC - which carrier is best, or should I go thru FFL?

Typically a long gun, shipped USPS Priority Mail with insurance is about $40-$45, quite a bit cheaper than UPS or FedEx. I do 99% of my shipping with USPS and in 15 years have never had a package lost.

When you shipped the handgun through the FFL, he probably used a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box. One of those with insurance is usually about $20-$22 (he can do it as an FFL, you can't)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the replies guys! The buyer is paying so I'll be using a brick/mortar LGS to ship the rifle, insured via whoever he uses. He knows his shit and I'm too busy to deal with it. Plus he's a good guy and want him to get the extra couple bucks he's making.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Lebanon County)

The one time I actually used a FFL to ship, it took weeks for him to ship it. The buyer was none too happy about that. I would just ship it ground by UPS, since it is a long gun.