Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First negative encounter

I've OCed all summer without a single negative encounter, and a handful of positive experiences. Today was the first negative.

Shopping at the grocery store with the wife. Tall older man approaches me, laughs, points at my hip, and says 'You should put your shirt over your pistol' in a condescending tone.

I smiled and said 'Okay', and proceeded to walk right by him, doing absolutely nothing about his exhaulted opinion of covering up.

I after thinking about it, I think this was the best response. I wasn't going to change his mind, and if I refuted his opinion he would just want to continue the trolling. Saying 'Okay' is non confrontational, he can't say anything back, and then I go about my business as usual and continue to Open carry.

Plus my wife is 9 months pregnant and we don't feel like having a public debate.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: First negative encounter

So, a controlled pair to the pelvis is over the top?......

(Bucks County)

In my opinion, no negative encounter. Just another dude thinking he's smarter than you. Well done on the response. Nothing more needs said if you want to go about your business. At some point in the future, you may want to educate those people. Rep sent. Carry on!

(York County)

You're probably right. Sometimes engaging a person full-on will work, particularly if you see it coming and are ready or especially quick on your feet. Sometimes polite conversation is called-for. And sometimes mostly ignoring and dismissing them can be the better course of action.

It can have a lot to do with your mood, the other persons approach, and your basic plans for the day. Hard to argue that your wife was a major consideration in the moment.

And I agree that your response would be hard for him to hold as 'ammo' against the 2A and it's supporters as you take the high road.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Thanks for the comments. I could see from the guys demeanor that debate wasn't going to go well.

I think some people have a lot of nerve and little class, and sometimes we cross paths with them. Hes convinced he knows better and thats that. He looked like the same kind of guy that would give his exhaulted 'advice' on drag racing to Don Garlits.

Comical but dumb at the same time

(Monroe County)

That was a fine response, "You're entitled to your opinion" might have worked also.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Tall older man approaches me, laughs, points at my hip, and says 'You should put your shirt over your pistol' in a condescending tone.
    You should put your shirt over your pistol

And you should mind your own business.

(Northampton County)

Sometimes little or no response is most appropriate...as in your case.

Well done.

He was probably your typical liberal who thinks his ideas and opinions must be mandatory for everyone.

(York County)

I don't OC, but I troll over here to see what you folks are up to.

Similar circumstances, I like to ... "thank you for your OPINION" (emphasis on 'opinion', and feel free to enunciate loudly), so can't imagine that line wouldn't work here. One of these days I'm gonna tuck in my shirt and join you guys. No harm in educating ignorant citizens, right? They're bold enough to approach an armed person, I'm bold enough to hand them their hat. It's what they got coming, so let them have it. Say it with a smile and a chuckle and move on. They'll know they're dicks.

Even stupid people seem to understand that shutting up is best done before one speaks. They just realize it too late.

Sounds like you handled it perfectly. I had a similar encounter in a Wal*Mart before; I just said "Ah" and then turned and walked away. People need to mind their own business; not sure why they have to try and shove their opinions down others' throats.

I've talked to a few people who legitimately did not know it was legal and were trying to advise me that my gun was showing, but those always went fine; you can usually tell those apart from the one you dealt with pretty easily though.
    1776 or 1984? - You decide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast