Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default McCain Says he's in presidential race

Link:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070301/...cs_mccain_dc_2

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record) made it official on Wednesday that he is seeking the 2008 Republican presidential nomination and said he plans a formal announcement in April.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The Arizona Republican, surprising few Americans, made the announcement during an interview on CBS's "Late Show with David Letterman," which was taped for broadcast late on Wednesday.

"I am announcing that I will be a candidate for President of the United States," McCain told Letterman.

McCain said he would make a formal announcement in April.

McCain has been on the campaign trail since revealing plans in November to form an exploratory committee, a key step in the campaign fund-raising process.

McCain joins former New York
    Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney who are leading a large field of Republicans eyeing a 2008 White House run.

A new ABC News/Washington Post poll shows Giuliani holding a two-to-one advantage over McCain among Republicans nationally.

McCain, who turns 72 in August 2008, is a former Vietnam prisoner of war who stresses his experience in foreign policy and military affairs.

One of
    President George W. Bush's key allies in the U.S. Congress on
    Iraq, McCain called for a troop buildup for months, even after the November election when it looked like the more likely option was the beginning of a U.S. withdrawal.

Other Republicans likely to seek the party's presidential nomination include: former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Sen. Sam Brownback (news, bio, voting record) of Kansas, former Virginia Gov. James Gilmore, former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson and Reps. Duncan Hunter (news, bio, voting record) of California and Tom Tancredo of Colorado.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Default Re: McCain Says he's in presidential race

Now that the news is posted above, I'll voice my opinion separately: YECCCH!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Interestingly enough I heard Joe Arpaio on Fox and Friends this morning. He called in to let them know who he was going to back for the R ticket this cycle. As of today it will be...

Mitt Romney...

That will make me take another look at the guy.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Now that the news is posted above, I'll voice my opinion separately: YECCCH!

I see your nausea and raise you one projectile vomit.

What's discouraging is that this sentence, IMO, is almost certainly true:

The next POTUS, from either party, will definitely be anti-gun.

(Allegheny County)

Reason magazine (a fairly libertarian publication) just had a very unflattering article on him. It is a good read: http://www.reason.com/