Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: cyl/brl gap

(Northumberland County)

Default cyl/brl gap

have a question, how much is TOO much cyl/brl gap in a revolver? does cal. make any difference? my Rossi .38 SP had .006 in. this little brand new.22 mag NAA Black Widow has .011 in. IF this is excessive, how can it be corrected? been with many long guns over 60 tears, first foray into hand guns, must start learning curve now. lot of knowledgeable handgun people on here, figured be a good place to ask. if this has been discused before, sorry, I had to have missed it.
    Last edited by diesel; June 26th, 2009 at 10:38 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: cyl/brl gap

To me that is excessive. I like to see .004 to .006". NAA might disagree and claim it is within their specs. To correct it you have to remove the barrel, shave some of the back of the barrel that butts up against the frame, reinstall the barrel, and then remove material from the barrel at the forcing cone until you get the gap you want.
    The Lord Bless You

(Jefferson County)

Gaps are determined by the manufacturer. Typically .003-.008" is appropriate. Some manufacturers have larger gaps to their standards.

Even if that gap is too big, you'd have to turn the base of the barrel in a lathe the amount equaling 1 turn of the threading. Then mill/turn/cut the forcing cone down just enough to make the proper gap. ...lots of work and $, unless you have your own lathe and mill.

(Pike County)

I am not sure what is spec for these, but it does sound a bit large. This is a new gun? Call NAA. Better safe than sorry.