Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Super hard cast alloy bullets

Last week I purchased some .357 “Super hard cast alloy bullets” (158 grain) from a local shop. All seem to be of top quality. When reviewing loading manuals and guides provided by powder makers, most give listings for jacketed bullets. I've read manuals and asked questions. I've been told both are about the same. I just want to be safe. What type of adjustments should I make, if any, from the loadings for jacketed bullets when using what I purchased?

Default Re: Super hard cast alloy bullets

Generally speaking, you can achieve the same velocity as a jacketed bullet with less powder. The coefficient of friction of any lead bullet (even a "super hard cast" one) is lower than a jacketed bullet. If a jacketed bullet gives you 1000 fps the same powder charge will give you maybe 1100 if everything else (bullet weight, bullet bearing surface, etc) is equal.

Leading in a barrel occurs not from higher velocity but higher pressure. High pressure deforms the base of the bullet (softer the lead, the lower the pressure it will deform at). This will also have an effect on accuracy.

Just to be safe I'd start loads 10% less than the charges you're using for jacketed bullets and work up to the charges you have been using. you'll most likely find the charges you're using for jacketed work fine with lead bullets of the same weight and bearing surface. You may find you can go hotter than what you've been using but watch out for leading in addition to signs of high pressure.

Thank your for the advice GRIZ. I was planning on starting 10% lighter, but its good to hear your comments.

(Northampton County)

Get a cast bullet book. What you need to know will be there.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

Hello Shooter357. Any online sights you suggest to purchase this book? The shop I purchased the bullets from had a really limited supply of reloading books (1 pistol/revolver & 1 rifle). Thanks for the advice.

(Chester County)

The LYMAN reloading manual has more cast bullet (lead) data than any other book I have seen. Midway is showing a LYMAN Vol 49, I have the Vol 47.

(Northampton County)

““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

The Lee manual also has a lot of info on cast bullets. I believe Midway carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    Last week I purchased some .357 “Super hard cast alloy bullets” (158 grain) from a local shop. All seem to be of top quality. When reviewing loading manuals and guides provided by powder makers, most give listings for jacketed bullets. I've read manuals and asked questions. I've been told both are about the same. I just want to be safe. What type of adjustments should I make, if any, from the loadings for jacketed bullets when using what I purchased?
    Just to clear up a point.....cast bullets are not jacketed bullets and the load information for jacketed bullets cannot be used for cast bullets (no matter what the alloy content is). I highly recommend that you purchase a Lyman Reloading Handbook (one can be had from Amazon.com). The book is THE source for common cast bullet calibers and weights.
    Matt Dardas

Lyman also makes a good book on cast bullets.

And for a good website check out castboolits.gunload.com.

They have an active board dealing with everything about cast boolits.