Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Question Where to find best price on AR in PGH?

I'm a newbie, let's get that out there right now.

I want an AR. I want to go to a store and buy it and take it home. I don't want to mail order because I'm not sure what's involved in that (maybe some enlightenment could be done here?). All the sites I went to mentioned FFL required in order to ship.

I don't want this thread to turn in to a "which is the best AR" discussion, plenty of those on this forum (interesting reading BTW).

What I want to know is where can I get the best deal on an AR in the PGH area, name of store, what brand they carried, where are they located kind of info.

Right now I'm looking at a bushmaster A3M4 for around $1200 locally and that seems outrageous compared to the prices I've seen on the web.

If I had a preference (from what I've read here) a Colt, LMT, Noveske would be some fine choices but, I'd settle for a BM for my use.

I've done some searches on the forums here but I was unable to find out WHERE folks are buying their ARs locally. It appears most are building and mail ordering, but that's not what I'm interested in right now.

Any help in this endeavor would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Where to find best price on AR in PGH?

Braverman Arms - Wilkinsburg, just outside the city - I have seen them with DPMS, Bushmaster and Rock River. If you go in with cash in hand, they most likely will drop the price a little bit or work a deal with you.

Ace Sporting Goods - Washington, PA - I have never been there, but I have heard they have good prices. Give them a call and see what they have in stock. http://www.acefirearms.com/

There is a start for you.

-Burnsie

(Beaver County)

If Coopers Guns (Cranberry Twp Area) has any right now, he's going to be a good price:
    Open Monday/Wed/Friday evenings I think 4PM to 9PM
    Open Saturday i think noon to 6 PM
    724-843-4081 - I ask for Ryan

John Brown's Armory in Rochester PA
    724-728-4444
    Tim over at Brown's Armory had at least 3 last week when I was there. He recently got in a couple Bushmaster AR Pistols and rifles. I think there is a Stag there.

He has Charles Daly Defense AR's ordered, they may have come in. Call and see... and make a deal! Tell Tim that Larry sent you!

I would go to a dealer and have them start calling distributors and order what you want instead of settling for something you dont.

Have them see if it's in stock at the dist level or not etc...

(Allegheny County)

If you go to Bravermans you gotta ask, they keep the EBR's put away.

ACE is good, call them and see what they got.

do you know what style of AR you want and what type of shooting you plan on using it for?

I have seen some decent deals in the classifieds here, and if you buy FTF (Face To Face) between 2 PA residents you dont need an FFL at all or any paperwork.

(Allegheny County)

Don't forget to check into a local Dunhams. I just bought a Bushy M4gery from them for a decent price.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    If you go to Bravermans you gotta ask, they keep the EBR's put away.

ACE is good, call them and see what they got.

do you know what style of AR you want and what type of shooting you plan on using it for?

I have seen some decent deals in the classifieds here, and if you buy FTF (Face To Face) between 2 PA residents you dont need an FFL at all or any paperwork.
    I've been to Braverman's a few times, they seem like nice folk. I don't live too far away from them so I think I'll drop in.

My friend told me to check out John Brown's Armory, he said they can get anything pretty quick (though I imagine they are at the mercy of their distributors just like everyone else).

Thanks for all of the QUICK replies so far, this forum is great!

As far as what I plan to use it for is mostly just fun and home defense. Before the 1st ban was in place, I had a Colt A1 that I paid a whopping $420 for brand new. I sold it right before the ban went into effect for $450 cuz I needed the cash. I wish I would of kept it, I loved it!

No one has put forth any prices yet so I'll ask, is $1200 too much for a BM A3M4 in the local area? I don't have the exact part number and I don't know all of the particulars (I know it has a 14" barrel, 6-pos stock and that's about it). But a shop I go to has a "few" BMs and a "couple" of Colts he wants $1900? (I think, not sure) for. I don't know what model Colt he has.

DaveM55: What's a M4gery?

Thanks again for the replies!

an M4gery just looks like an M4. A 16" car with a tele stock.

1200 is too much for a BM in my opinion.

900 or less and Id start considering it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TimZ View Post

DaveM55: What's a M4gery?
    Not so long ago Colt made the M4 and had a trade mark on the name. So any other manufacturer that made an M4 was a forgery. People on the interwebs started calling anything other than a Colt an M4gery.

I paid $1,029 for my M4gery about a month ago at Dunhams. It's actually the patrolman version by Bushmaster.

And $1900 for a Colt 6920 is robbery! But find out for sure which model he has.
    Last edited by DaveM55; February 17th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Sportsmans Supply on rt.356 near Butler.Bout a week ago they had a couple Bushmaster M4 types and a S&W M&P M4 type for around $900-$1000.They have good selection of everything usually.If you go up there,a big mountain man lookin dude named Curt is who you wanna talk to.Most of the other employees are mall ninja wannabees!I would call first to make sure they still got em.Kinda far drive for you.