Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Is it pistol or ammo?

I have a new Ruger MarkIII 22/45. I have been to the range twice with it now. The very first shot from it and it jambed, shell did not properly eject. I was afraid it was a look at things to come, but the rest of the time there, no problems. The second time at the range it jambed twice. Not liking this. I started to wonder if it is more of an ammo problem. I'm shooting the cheap stuff, Federal box, the one with 525 shots loose in the box for $15 a box. I haven't used it all, but I wonder if it just happens to be how that ammo happens to work, or not work, with this pistol. Has anyone else noticed a difference with more expensive ammo through there .22 or is it more of the way the pistol just is? Eventually I will get a box of something more expensive to atleast try this guess, but I was wondering if anyone else has had cause to notice this?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Is it pistol or ammo?

A lot of .22 pistols are ammo sensitive......and the cheap bulk boxes are very sketchy these days. I got a Federal bulk box where I had a misfire about every two mags.

Try some other brands and buy a decent box of 50 to run.

Lycandon'tpanicthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Jefferson County)

FTE with a semiauto 22rf is generally a weak powder charge. So long as it ejects most of the time, I doubt its the gun.

Try another make/type of 22rf ammo.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Generally a FTE is from a weak round (which was explained above) so try to use some .22lr which is specifically noted for being high velocity with a heavier bullet. These two things will make sure that slide goes allllll the way back.

(Berks County)

OK, I'll be sure to try some higher end ammo for the MarkIII. Good thing I have the Daisy 2201 single shot to run the rest of the Federal through, it doesn't seem to care what it throws down range. I like the Daisy more and more every time I shoot it, and I didn't think I would.

(Lehigh County)

I had the same problem with my Smith and Wesson 22a with the Remington bulk box. About every 25 shots I would have a FTE. I would agree with what others have said, better ammo should do the trick. If its still jamming, then its likely the pistol itself.

You also have a new gun, which might mean things are still "tight". While I agree with the above posters saying its a ammo problem, you might have different results after you have shot a couple hundred rounds through it. One other thing you may want to check is if the gun is properly lubed. I use the Federal Bulk .22lr ammo in my 10/22 and have yet (gone through 2 boxes) to have any feeding, firing or ejecting problems.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

My .22/45 had problems feeding. Still does with certain types of ammo. Actually all the ones would jam up EXCEPT Federal. They are weird, others have told me that its the feed ramp which im sure it is and i need to polish it or send it back to the factory but i do not feel like it and it dont shoot it much so i do not really care
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Bucks County)

In my 22, I have switched to CCI. I have always used Remington in it but I refuse to deal with 1 dud in 20. I thought the occasional jam was just the pistol. I have about 200 rnds CCI and I have had 0 jams and 0 duds and a few holes the size of a half dollar with no flyers.

Thanks for the post. I was thinking about Federal but unless you go exotic, 22s are cheap enough in any brand.

If you want to have some fun and give your recoil spring a workout, try the stingers.
    Last edited by Jim1911; February 18th, 2009 at 12:28 AM.

(Bedford County)

Yep, its the ammo!

Anything "bulk packed" will be iffy. I have found the Remington "Golden Bullets" to be the best of the bulk packs in my guns.

For plinking, upgrade to CCI Mini Mags. They run like a raped ape, and are still 1/2 the price of centerfire ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast