Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default My first day of CC and OC

Originally posted on OCDO

Yesterday morning (with a handful of PA Gun Rights filiers (thank you OCDO)) I stopped at my daughter's home where I met her and my eldest son. We greeted each other with sleep still lingering in our heads while loading up in the SUV. We really looked forward to arriving at Starbucks in the South Side to get that wake up juice.

Now with a bit of caffeine in or veins we manage to make a few sounds that seem more like actual words. So we head out to Eat'n Puke in Robinson for breakfast. The getting there is always one of my favorite times. Good conversation and most often more then just a few laughs. Good times. Though this morning it was a bit different for all of us. Dad (that's me) as a civilian is for the first time ever carrying a gun in public (though in the early 80's I carried guns often while in the Army).

Supportive of their fathers choice to be an armed citizen (and showing their own desire to some day soon carry their own firearm) the "kids" seem to be just as curious as I am of how people would respond (or in most negative encounters react) when seeing a citizen who is not LE carrying a holstered gun. But that will have to wait. Sorry kiddos, not happening this morning. The jersey I wore just didn't look right tucked in, so I opted to carry concealed. Though if anyone cared enough they could see the print.

Look, I didn't say that this was going to be exciting.

Anyways, with hugs and kisses we parted and I drove back to my home to pick up my young ones (nine and six) and off we go to run some errands. But just prior to our leaving I changed my jersey and put on a lite Polo jacket that rides up on the wast. Now I am most defiantly in Open Carry mode.

Before leaving my son who is the nine year old looked at me inquisitively and said, "Is that how you're going dad?" I thought for a second as I looked over myself and said, "Yeah, what do you think about it son?" Heh, kids huh? He looked at me intently and said, "Is that legal or illegal?" I of course told him it was perfectly legal and in fact is my opinion a necessity for all responsible law abiding citizens to do. "So, it's legal?" Yes son, it is. I said. "Okay, let's go" were his last words on the matter and off we went.

First stop, gas at the Kennedy Township Get Go next to the Giant Eagle. Two smiles and no problems later we pull around to park in front of the grocery store. A few stares and a cashier who wouldn't stop talking to me is the crux of what happen. Now we depart to... yeah that's right, Wal Mart.

Not sure if any of you go to the one in Robinson but it is where we go most of the time if we go to Wal Mart. This visit was for the most part just as uneventful. There were a few looks of curiosity and not much more. Though, like many others who share their own events I too noticed that some of the sales associates seem to have been a bit more cordial, talkative and even pleasant. Maybe it's because of the firearm or maybe it's just because I'm just such a bloody wonderful good guy. You'll have to be the judge of that.

The only strange or potential problem I noticed was a guy who passed by pushing two children in a cart. He was a big guy, a guy twice my size and for some reason found it necessary to look at me with a look that I can only describe as hateful. This look came after he seen my side arm. What? I thought to myself. You don't like the fact that I can defend myself or is it that since I have a means to defend myself you can't intimidate me with your size? Who the hell knows. Maybe the guy was pissed off that he had the kids and his "look" reflected his discomfort. Or maybe he just had gas. Heh, no matter to me whatever the problem may or may not be. It's just an observation. Though whatever the case may be it did indeed looked to me that he was angry that I was carrying. Go figure.

Well, that's it. That's my first day of carrying both CC and OC.

Thanks.

No, I really mean it. Thanks. Thanks to those of you who share your own experiences and for those who are activists for both CC and OC. It helped me tremendously to reach this my first day of being a true citizen.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: My first day of CC and OC

Good write up/good read. Seems more and more that these stories are uneventful as far as people's reaction to an armed citizen.

(Allegheny County)

Way to go Harry, welcome to the free world. hopefully we can meet up at the Meet-N-Greet this coming weekend.

rep sent
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lehigh County)

I am thinking that the guy you met probably most likely had gas. My brother is another 3-4 inches taller than me but is probably the most gentle giant you can ever meet.

The other day I was in line to pick up a new toy from cabelas and i stared this one guy right in the belly button. One of our fellow PAFOA'ers. I am 5'8'' or 5'9'' and he was, very tall, but one of the most laid back people you could ever meet. And a young fellow to boot.

I dont think that they guy you refer to was as pissed as he was uninformed. At a minimum, I hope he was sad that it wasn't him that was armed and in control of his families future.

(Armstrong County)

Well done, good report

An OC Activist
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

+1 for another uneventful OC/CC report.... don'tcha just love them
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%