Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Question .38/.357 and bullseye loads

i loaded up a bunch of .38 with 3.0 and later 3.1 and 3.2 grains of bullseye. and a 158gr cast. I do most of my shooting out of a S&W 686plus with a 6" barrel but also practice with a carry piece, a taurus 85 titanium 2" barrel.

i also use bullseye in my .45 loads cast swc 4.0 bullseye out of 5" gold cup.

the other day at the range i found that the bullseye loads seems to make that 2" snub way more accurate that before. i think i like them more then golden sabers (as far as accuracy goes) i assume because bullseye is such a fast burner its better for a short barrel.

so now im wondering about my .45 loads could i be using something better for a 5" barrel? and my .38s out of a 6" barrel

BOTTOM LINE: i could use a recomendation for a .38 and .45 powder that works well with a longer barrel or is bullseye good enough.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .38/.357 and bullseye loads

I've been using Bullseye for .45 ACP for a couple of years now and the only complaint I have is it's dirty. I'm very happy with the accuracy I'm getting out of my Glock 21 with it. Bullseye has been used in the .45 ACP by many top competitors for decades. I would think there are powders out there that are better but I haven't gotten around to trying anything different.

I started loading .40 S&W with Unique which burns much cleaner than Bullseye. Accuracy is just as good out of my Glock 23.

This winter I'm going to work up a Unique load for .45 ACP to see if I can get similar accuracy to my Bullseye load.

I should note that both of the above loads that I'm running are only duplicating factory ammo ballistics.

(York County)

Ive use alot of bullseye also I usually load 5.5 gr for my 230 lrn and 5.6 for my gdhp 200gr. for my 45 auto , Hodgdons Clays works really well also!

(Bucks County)

W231 is my all-around powder for 38spl and 45acp practice loads. Great powder, especially for lead-cast bullets.

.38 special 4.9 gr. of Bullseye pick your bullet, .45 acp 4.9 gr. Bullseye 230 gr standard load approx. 850fps. Both of these loads shoot very good and the advantage of one setting on the powder measure. I have been using 4.8-4.9 Bullseye for about 50 yrs. and have one measure that is set and the screw cut off so it can not be changed. Play in the reloading books and see how many different calibers and loads will use this powder charge. Since I recently bought about 8 lbs. there will be very little other powder burned.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne