Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default What to get/look for?

I'm looking to get a small, hammerless revolver chambered in a good caliber for a pocket gun. Looking to spend around 200-300. What make and model should I keep my eye out for?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: What to get/look for?

Wow, for that price you are pretty limited. Hammerless are more the exception so there won't be too many out there. Do you need true hammerless or will a shrouded hammer do?

S&W had the Model 40 Centennial and recently re-released it but nowhere near the $300 price range. There's plenty of older revolvers out there by H&R and such, but I would not trust them for a pocket gun.

Taurus makes a number of hammerless and shrouded hammer revolvers that start at around $300 or so (.38 special), so maybe a decent used one could be picked up for less. But you could save a little more money up and get a new one.

Check out local place or for a good selection see www.budsgunshop.com

(Bucks County)

I would get a used Smith & Wesson 442 (black) or 642 (stainless) J frame...they weigh just 15 oz, you can use 38+P HPs, a formidable defense round w manageable recoil. They go for around $400 new. They're a little longer than an auto for a pocket gun, only have 5 rounds, but they draw smooth and are super reliable.

(Philadelphia County)

I just bought one last week for $100 more than what this guy is selling his for.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/firearms-...red-se-pa.html