Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Charter arms revolvers? Any opinions

My wife just recently shot a pistol for the first time and really enjoyed it, was my Fathers Sig in 9mm, a few nights after that we were at A local gun shop and they had a Small 38 called a charter arms, and she liked the feel of it and it was a good price, but being as I have never heard of them I told her to let me look into them. I was wondering if any one here has one, and can let me know what they think of it. Being as she found out that charter arms makes a gold and black 38 snubbie i hear about it every day, when can i buy it lol. So if any one has any opinions let me know.
    Last edited by smileycraig22; October 19th, 2008 at 09:16 AM.

Default Re: Charter arms revolvers? Any opinions

Try budsgunshop.com They are great to do business with. Charter arms makes a bunch of 38 sp revolvers including a pink lady model. I don't like the pink lady because at 12 oz it should bite her hand pretty good and it isn't hammerless. They make a hammerless that weighs in at 16 oz and isn't too heavy and won't kick so bad.

(Lehigh County)

There have been decidedly mixed reviews about Charter Arms in previous posts. Didn't go through them all (I did a search on Charter Arms from the top of this page), so I don't know if the issues were from earlier models of their offerings or if complaints still exist. Do a quick search and you'll see the various threads that discuss this company... I've listed a few below.

And remember, if there's any doubt whatsoever about the reliability of a given gun, bite the bullet (pun intended) and go with a different manufacturer and/or model, even if it means more expense.

Not that higher price is an iron-clad guarantee of better quality... but it usually is.

For what it's worth, I think Taurus also makes a gold and black .38 snubby, if that's her heart's desire... and they seem to have a better reputation than Charter Arms. Here's a link to some of their more colorful versions:
    http://www.taurususa.com/products/gu...lts.cfm?page=3

/and watch out for the holsters that might make her butt look big!!!
    //talking about the butt of the gun... (bwaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaa!)

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pistols-4...ms-yes-no.html

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pistols-4...rter-arms.html
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; October 19th, 2008 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks so much for the info on the charter arms, should have searched first myself but for somereason i did not even think of that, think i will have her go with the taurus my buddie has one and i am impressed with it. Thanks again

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by smileycraig22 View Post
    Thanks so much for the info on the charter arms, should have searched first myself but for somereason i did not even think of that, think i will have her go with the taurus my buddie has one and i am impressed with it. Thanks again
    I recently went with the Taurus .38 snubby (model 85) and am highly pleased with it as well.

(Northampton County)

The quality with Taurus is hit or miss. A lot of them go back for problems. Just ask anyone who works behind a gun counter. Buying one is a gamble.

Charter Arms revolvers are total garbage...don't waste your money.

If you want a revolver,stick with Ruger or S&W. If money is a problem buy used. A used Ruger sp101 goes for 300.00 to 330.00$ & is a super reailable gun that will last a lifetime. If you want something a little lighter look at a S&W J frame. Spend a little extra,you'll be glad you did. DON'T BUY JUNK.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    The quality with Taurus is hit or miss. A lot of them go back for problems. Just ask anyone who works behind a gun counter. Buying one is a gamble.

If you want a revolver,stick with Ruger or S&W. If money is a problem buy used. A used Ruger sp101 goes for 300.00 to 330.00$ & is a super reailable gun that will last a lifetime. If you want something a little lighter look at a S&W J frame. Spend a little extra,you'll be glad you did. DON'T BUY JUNK.
    I've been hearing just as many S&W hard-luck stories as Taurus, when it comes to the line of revolvers... I can't vouch for the Taurus semi-auto pistols, though.

But the vast majority of reports give the thumb's up to both companies' line of revolvers.

I believe, too, as far as the equivalent model semi-auto pistols go, the price difference between Taurus and S&W is very significant, so I'd expect the edge to go to S&W there. If memory serves, I saw a few Taurus 9mm and .40 cal semis going in the $300 to $400 range, but what looked to me like the equivalent S&W models were over $500. (Not a scientific survey, just my general impression from browsing).

The difference between the equivalent model Taurus and S&W snubby, when I looked at them at Cabelas, was about $60 higher on the S&W, and I didn't notice any overt quality advantage from a pure machining standpoint, so I went with the Taurus. In fact, if you would have handed me both revolvers without logos, I would have been hard-pressed to tell the difference.

That said, I'd obviously give S&W the nod over Taurus in the vast majority of cases.
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; October 19th, 2008 at 12:28 PM.

(Chester County)

LOL...

I read this and thought I wrote it, till I read the username....lol

Couldn't have put it better myself!

(Adams County)

One man's opinion. Hi Point has a bad name, too, but people who actually own them like them, for the most part. My wife has a Charter Southpaw, .38 snub, and I have a Charter Bulldog, .44 Special snub. Fit & Finish are just fine, she's had hers since July, 600+ rounds, I've had mine since August, 400+ rounds. Not a single problem out of either. Mine is my every day carry gun. If I needed another revolver, I wouldn't hesitate. And I actually own one.
    Total garbage? Junk? Nah.

Keith
    USMV M/C

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith4001r View Post
    One man's opinion. Hi Point has a bad name, too, but people who actually own them like them, for the most part. My wife has a Charter Southpaw, .38 snub, and I have a Charter Bulldog, .44 Special snub. Fit & Finish are just fine, she's had hers since July, 600+ rounds, I've had mine since August, 400+ rounds. Not a single problem out of either. Mine is my every day carry gun. If I needed another revolver, I wouldn't hesitate. And I actually own one.
    Total garbage? Junk? Nah.

Keith
    Actually, so far it's 2 peoples opinion.

After you've pulled jacket shards from .44 rounds, out of your face, because you were standing behind the owner of a brand new Bulldog, which was SEVERELY out of time, then we can talk. Of all the revolvers that break on the range, Charter leads the pack on a percentage basis. Junk if I've ever seen it.

I wouldn't carry one if you paid me.
    Glad yours works, though.

syneyeprotectioniscriticalergy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast