Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Exclamation Just to inform everyone

First off, I would like to say sorry for not participating in the forum lately. I have been busy and stressed over a couple things. I will do my best to participate more often.

Second, I would like to commend everyone who helped MtnJack. It's nice to know that when needed there are a lot of people out there who are willing to help.

And finally, I am contacting the coordinator at H.A.C.C. to get in so I can take the Act 235 course. I want to start a new career as an armed security officer. Although I am not pursuing it right now, I am not closing the door on the possibility of joining the police force. Just thought I would let everyone know. Who knows, it might actually help me become more comfortable with open carrying.

-Mrs.38SnubFan
    "And in the end it's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years!"

(York County)

Default Re: Just to inform everyone

Good luck.

York City PD hires quite often...
    In my younger days I'd try out for all the local departments & would always get that letter saying I was in the top 5 or so applicants but they only hired 1 or 2 so they would keep my information on file for a year...I ended up falling into another career... 17 years later, I'm still in that other career & looking at the current YCPD, I'm glad I didn't get into that nightmare. There are some aspects of the job that appeal to me, the brotherhood, being outside, & most of all helping people... but the politics, the "tarnished brass" in some departments, and most of all the thanklessness of the citizenship you are there to help make me glad I fell into my current career. (also my wife said she never even would have dated me if I had been a cop, & it would suck to not have her in my life)

Hope you make it if that is what you desire. We need more good police officers out there like those who are members here. They really seem to have become the minority on the forces.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(York County)

Smile Re: Just to inform everyone

If you don't mind me asking, what is your current career based in? I have been in the same career for almost 30 years and I can't tell you how many times I thought of changing careers but honestly I am not sure what to get into and the thought of it is a little scary. That being said I commend you on wanting to try something different and good luck with it!
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your current career based in? I have been in the same career for almost 30 years and I can't tell you how many times I thought of changing careers but honestly I am not sure what to get into and the thought of it is a little scary. That being said I commend you on wanting to try something different and good luck with it!
    Actually you can't even call it a career. I have been at a hotel now for 2 years and 4 months as a housekeeper. When I got pregnant with our daughter I went from cleaning rooms to doing laundry. Glamorous I know. Just got tired of the crap that goes on there. Nowhere to go. I want to do something I can be proud of. I am a little worried cause I somewhat have job security there, but I am willing to take "the leap of faith". Thank you for the good luck. I'll need it.

-Mrs.38SnubFan

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.38SnubFan View Post
    Actually you can't even call it a career. I have been at a hotel now for 2 years and 4 months as a housekeeper. When I got pregnant with our daughter I went from cleaning rooms to doing laundry. Glamorous I know. Just got tired of the crap that goes on there. Nowhere to go. I want to do something I can be proud of. I am a little worried cause I somewhat have job security there, but I am willing to take "the leap of faith". Thank you for the good luck. I'll need it.

-Mrs.38SnubFan
    When you take that leap of faith, know you have an entire community on here supporting you. Best of luck and keep us updated.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    When you take that leap of faith, know you have an entire community on here supporting you. Best of luck and keep us updated.
    Thank you and I will definitely keep everyone updated. I call H.A.C.C. in the morning.

UPDATE: I called H.A.C.C. this morning. Needless to say it did not go well. The course is $300 and I cannot get financial aid due to the fact that the course is a non-credit course. Therefor taking the Act 235 is no longer an option for me considering that I have been denied a loan by 2 different banks today. Instead, I am now considering applying with one of the local police departments who pays for everything. Not sure how that will go but I will keep everyone updated. Wish me luck.

-Mrs.38SnubFan
    Last edited by Mrs.38SnubFan; July 21st, 2009 at 01:53 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Another update: I am no longer considering applying with a local pd. I am actually going to do it. Next time they are hiring I am submitting my application. With any luck I will get accepted.

Also in other news, 38SnubFan and I have officially set a date for our wedding. (No we are not actually married yet.) It is on June 5th. We would love to invite everyone but unfortunately due to our budget we have to limit the invites. If you would like to attend the wedding you may email me at wolfand3cubs@yahoo.com. I need your name and address. Thank you.

-Mrs.38SnubFan

(Allegheny County)

I'm truly not being coy nor intentionally presumptive, but how does one have the ability to post here on the forum and not cover a $300-400 "loan" for the furtherance of their self?

Possibly, while I believe the intentions are righteous, one should gain success in attaining simpler goals before being entrusted with the responsibilities of an LEO which affects all of us. I want to know that the cop in the car in front of me can at least hold down a mortgage - once again, disclaiming any effects of being too presumptive.

No offense, seriously and I wish ya the best of luck. But, this is why companies do credit checks before hire... We have to admit that there are some basic indicators...
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    I'm truly not being coy nor intentionally presumptive, but how does one have the ability to post here on the forum and not cover a $300-400 "loan" for the furtherance of their self?

Possibly, while I believe the intentions are righteous, one should gain success in attaining simpler goals before being entrusted with the responsibilities of an LEO which affects all of us. I want to know that the cop in the car in front of me can at least hold down a mortgage - once again, disclaiming any effects of being too presumptive.

No offense, seriously and I wish ya the best of luck. But, this is why companies do credit checks before hire... We have to admit that there are some basic indicators...

All I can say to this is WoW.
    After WW3, only roaches will survive, and they will live in steel AK mags.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post

Where it comes down to affording a $300/400 loan or paying for internet service i feel that the internet service is a to valuable tool to do without. The knowledge of the world is on the net and can be of more value to the OP than the mentioned loan. Your point is noted and taken as also valid.
    redeye202

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast