Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default .38 Special Revolvers

Got a question thats bugged me for a bit. I see a good number of revolvers chambered for .38 only, when other models of the same gun are .357/.38. What is the reason for this? I thought it was only older police revolvers, but Ive seen it in newer guns as well. Does having less cylinder improve the ballistics of the .38 round so significantly that theres an actual market for it?

(Blair County)

Default Re: .38 Special Revolvers

Some people prefer the lighter weight and smaller frame of a 38 Special, while those with 357 Mags. Sometimes shoot cheaper 38 Special rounds from the 375.

It is a matter of choice.
    Steve

(Jefferson County)

357/38 guns are built on the 357mag's stronger specs and they put the "38" text there to remind folks that the 38 can still be shot with that gun. 38spl is cheaper to shoot, easier to shoot, and realistically you dont need 357mag power all the time.

A 38spl is a low pressure cartridge, and a gun built for 38spl cant handle the higher pressures of the 357mag.

A straight wall chambered gun can shoot lessor powered/length cartridges of the same caliber family. ...but not the reverse.

(talking non-autoloaders below)
    Any 357 can handle 38spl cartridges.

44mag can handle 44spl and 44russian cartridges.

Or in a 460S&W gun - you can use 454 casull and 45 colt.

357 Maximum can handle - 360DW, 357mag, 38spl too.

22 long rifle - 22 long, 22 short, 22c&b
    Last edited by knight0334; May 31st, 2008 at 01:31 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Im not asking about the same gun using more than one ammunition type, Im asking about the reason for revolvers that would otherwise be .38/.357, having shortened cylinders and ejectors for firing .38 only.

For reference, just cause I have the Ruger catalog at hand, the SP101 revolver comes in .38/.357 model 5718, and .38 only model 5737. Same frame and parts, so it cant be about weight. The SP101 was never a police or military issue weapon, so it isnt about a departmental restriction.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    Im not asking about the same gun using more than one ammunition type, Im asking about the reason for revolvers that would otherwise be .38/.357, having shortened cylinders and ejectors for firing .38 only.

For reference, just cause I have the Ruger catalog at hand, the SP101 revolver comes in .38/.357 model 5718, and .38 only model 5737. Same frame and parts, so it cant be about weight. The SP101 was never a police or military issue weapon, so it isnt about a departmental restriction.
    (Without visually inspecting them)

Its about marketing. People know a more powerful gun will cost more than a lessor. But they may not want the bigger price tag or power - however they still may want a gun that looks and feels like the more powerful. In the case of Ruger - the frame is a consistent cost of production, but they may not be able to sell enough of the 357/38 guns to make it worth while. But a lot of 38spl only guns would sell, albeit at a lower profit - but a profit none the less.

There are places yet that limit the power of the firearm(example - Mexico). Some states limit security guards to 38spl, same with LEO's that haven't qualified to 357mag or autoloaders. And there are many places in the US that require their officers to provide their own weapons.

You can have a shorter cylinder in the same series of revolver. ..They just have to turn the barrel back farther to compensate. Weight difference would be minimal.

Also, they could be using same cylinder - but the 38 only guns may only be reamed out to 38spl length.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

So are you asking why they even bother to make the smaller .38s?

Well for one, firing the shorter .38 cartridges over time is bad for the cylinder as you start getting a build up inside the cylinder where the opening of the shorter case is. If you then go back to shooting .357s, it can hang up the cases on ejection and loading. There are some other issues that can appear over time, but I'm not 100% sure on them, I'm not a big fan of revolvers and I rarely shoot the ones that I have...guess I need to do some reading.

Another reason is weight. If you look at two SP101s with 2.25" barrel lengths, you will see the .357 is one ounce heavier. Some people are looking for the lightest thing possible or the heaviest thing possible, that one ounce can make a difference in selection for some.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Also, they could be using same cylinder - but the 38 only guns may only be reamed out to 38spl length.
    I doubt that, if they are using the same cylinder, what's to stop someone from sticking a .357 in a .38 only gun? Unfortunately, I don't have any SP101s one hand, or any .38 only guns for that matter. But it's usually SOP to have 38 only guns having the shorter cylinder to be 100% sure that some knucklehead can't stick a .357 in a .38 only and still be able to close the cylinder.

ETAA:

You can see in these pics that the cylinders are different dimensions.

.38spcl. Note the gap between the front (bbl. end) of the cylinder and the frame:

And the .357 with not as much as a gap.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; May 31st, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Centre County)

I think my snubbie is tiny bit longer(cylinder is anyway) then same gun chambered only in 38. and amy be hair heavier.

but ability to have more choice of ammo is always reason why I'd buy .35mag/38sp

i bought my Snubbie chambered in .357Mag/38SP(and obviously, everything else in between), because I wanted .357mag for carry weapon.

This quickly changed, after I shot full .357mag out of it for the first time.
    .357mag just is not a fun caliber to shoot out of 2" snubbie weigh only 18oz.

But the flip side of it is that my gun can handle alot more ammo then snubbie chambred only in 38special.
    From my safe, I have choice of

158gr .357mag Hydrashock
    135gr .357mag Slivertip
    130gr .357mag Remington JSP for target practice(If I'm up to it that is)

then I have
    .38sp in 110gr, 130gr, 148gr in variety of bullit type, some are cowboy load, some are +p, and some are +p+.

I like having choices...

With that being said, my personal choice for daily carry usualy is Federal Classic's 125gr HP.
    Last edited by Mity2; May 31st, 2008 at 04:44 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Shooting a .38 out of a .357 chamber leaves the bullet travelling longer before it gets to the forcing cone and rifling, which can affect accuracy. Or so I'm told.

There may or may not be police departments that issue the SP101 as a BUG (I haven't bothered to find out), but lots of departments either require or allow their officers to provide their own weapons. Some of them may not allow .357 Magnums, so a manufacturer chambering a gun for .38 Special just makes since. Same with private security agency. Some are limited by law or policy to .38s.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart