Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plated Bullets any good?

I just got 1k 124gr 9mm plated bullets from Berrys. When I ordered them I didn't realize the difference between plated and jacketed bullets. Now I realize they are not the same and plated need to be treated almost like lead. What kind of results have you guys had with plated bullets? I'm reloading for a Glock 17.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Plated Bullets any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I just got 1k 124gr 9mm plated bullets from Berrys. When I ordered them I didn't realize the difference between plated and jacketed bullets. Now I realize they are not the same and plated need to be treated almost like lead. What kind of results have you guys had with plated bullets? I'm reloading for a Glock 17.
    I haven't used Berry's bullets, but I do reload Frontier FMJ 9mm that are copper plated...I've had great success with them over top of 5.7-5.8 gr of Unique...I've punched out 1in groups at 7-10 yds with them standing up without a rest.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

I shot tons of plated bullets and usually keep the load the same as I do for FMJ, but I also don't load max loads. I use winchester 231 and 115 grn plated or FMJ, starting load is 4.4grns, max load is 4.9, I usually run my load at 4.6-4.7 and have had no problems.

(Schuylkill County)

I have been getting berry's 40 S&W in 138 and 180 HP for some time now. Probably shot 1k of them and reloaded 2 k of them in the last 2 months.
    They work in my lee to load and my Taurus and XDm to fire. I was worried about copper buildup in the barrel b/c of plating but is seems just like any other round (next to none) No copper fouling and they seem pretty accurate. And the price you cant beat...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    I haven't used Berry's bullets, but I do reload Frontier FMJ 9mm that are copper plated...I've had great success with them over top of 5.7-5.8 gr of Unique...I've punched out 1in groups at 7-10 yds with them standing up without a rest.
    Off topic, but what do you think of that CZ? I always thought they looked like sweet guns. What's the difference like with recoil with a steel frame vs polymer frame 9mm? I'm guessing it's a 9mm. Also how the trigger?
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

I loaded 20 test rounds of Berry's 230 gr for my G30 (.45), & went to the range this morning. I had no problems with them at all, so I'm going to load the rest of the box for practice ammo.

Berrys recommends a low-mid range load for the same weight/type jacketed bullet. I tried 3 powder different charges of Universal & the best group I had was halfway between the low & midrange loads from the Hogdgons Load book. They shot 3" lower than the Winchester white box that I have been using for practice ammo, but grouped much better.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I've used a lot of plated bullets without any trouble. Berrys tells you to load them like lead and that's what I've done. Some indoor ranges require no lead or an encapsulated round.

(Lawrence County)

I've shot a ton of Berrys and Rainiers. They load somewhere between lead bullets and jacketed. Accuracy has always been decent as long as you aren't loading them too hot.

LycanusingTitegroupandClaysthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Columbia County)

I haven't loaded Berry's before, but I load .40 S&W 160 gr plated bullets. I've always loaded them the same as I would jacketed without any problems... but, as arjohnson had also said, I don't do maximum loads.

My recipe is 7.5 gr IMR-800X and works well out of my XD

(Chester County)

I don't see much difference between the copper plated bullets and the jacketed bullets whgen shooting them, but when loading them, I use more bell on the cartridge mouth (like lead) because if the case is not belled enough, you can shave the copper plating off the side of the bullet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast