Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Just got an LCP!!!

Hey gang, haven't posted in a while, but I got an LCP on sale for 279 the other day at Boyers hardware in Slatington. I have been carrying it, but havent fired it yet. My question to you guys is, how do I break this pistol in? I bought 100 rounds of prvi I think its called.

My next question is, what do I use to clean this thing? I have never owned a plastic pistol before. What can I use that wont damage any of the finishes on this gun?

Thanks guys!

(York County)

Default Re: Just got an LCP!!!

you shouldn't have any problems with the "finish" on the frame. It is fiber glass/polymer and won't need cleaning. Fire 50-100 rounds to break it in, more so to just make sure it works right. Get a flathead screw driver to pry out the takedown pin and remove the spring and barrel from the slide. Run some bore cleaner through the barrel and chamber and then some patches. Then wipe the outside of the barrel with a little CLP, as well as the spring and takedown pin (just makes it easier to pry out). Wipe the inside of the slide with some CLP along with the guide rails on the frame. Put it back together and wipe off any excess oil on the outside before sticking it in your pocket.

GO SHOOT IT!!!!

(Allegheny County)

Congrats. You don't have to take any significantly different care of this weapon than any other.

The price was a good one you paid. When I was looking for a mouse gun, they were at least $30 more than you paid, if anyone had any. I am partial toward Ruger, but I didn't like the way the LCP felt. I prefered the Kel Tec. Just personal preference. You'll have a lot of good shooting with this gun.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by krajus83 View Post
    Hey gang, haven't posted in a while, but I got an LCP on sale for 279 the other day at Boyers hardware in Slatington. I have been carrying it, but havent fired it yet. My question to you guys is, how do I break this pistol in? I bought 100 rounds of prvi I think its called.

My next question is, what do I use to clean this thing? I have never owned a plastic pistol before. What can I use that wont damage any of the finishes on this gun?

Thanks guys!
    About breaking your pistol in, take some time to take your pistol to the range and get to know your weapon. Especially if its going to be your everyday carry weapon.

I'm guessing you mean the Ruger LCP. Its a nice little pistol so cleaning it wont be too hard. It might feel like plastic but its actually a high grade polymer, so don't worry about damaging it. Its made to last. While at the range or gun store pick up a cleaning kit, field strip your weapon, wipe-clean dirt, grime, etc. Also be careful not to over oil the weapon or stretch the springs out.

Hope this helps. Now go have fun and shoot it!

Congrats. Just a word of caution. Do not trust the gun to be a 100% reliable till you put about a 150 to 200 rounds down the pipe. Then find the ammo that works best in your gun for CC.

(Lehigh County)

Should I field strip it and clean it before I fire it the first time? I wasnt planning on it. I bought this FMJ prvi ammo that I was told to be good. We'll see how it goes. What are you using to clean the slide? I don't want the finish to come off while cleaning.(had this happen to me with a Bersa .380.) Had to return the pistol and put up with black stained hands for 3 weeks.

Why kind of bore brush are you using? stainless? Bronze? Plastic?

Sorry to come off as a dummy, I just want to make sure before I screw something up.

I'm going to plan a trip to the range tomorrow after work.

(Cumberland County)

Congrats - just got mine too, I had a few posts on it and ammo.. I am going to shoot mine tomorrow for the first time, but I broke it down the other day. I cleaned it the same way I always do, no issues.
    One screw up I did do - most probably would be as stupid. After loading the magazine and having it around for a couple days, I decided to put the extender on the magazine for a better feel. Ok, so I didn't unload the mag when I made the change ........ I'm sure everyone but me knows what happened ........ spring and plastic pc. went ballistic ! I'm just lucky both parts landed at my feet and I was able to put it back together. Ahhhh, nice to learn something new every day !
    If you scroll back a bit, you can see some good response to my ammo questions. Good luck !

(Cumberland County)

most probably would be as stupid
    I meant most probably "wouldn't" be as stupid

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by krajus83 View Post
    What are you using to clean the slide? I don't want the finish to come off while cleaning.(had this happen to me with a Bersa .380.) Had to return the pistol and put up with black stained hands for 3 weeks.

I'm going to plan a trip to the range tomorrow after work.
    Sidetracking a bit, what were you using to clean that dissolved the Bersa finish? I'd hate to do the same thing to my wife's gun.

Have fun at the range, we're headed to the range on Monday too.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

Congrats, great little guns, ammo is still a little pricy/hard to find though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast