Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Laws On Carrying(not on person)

Im trying to find the laws on carrying a pistol in my car, Ill be 18 in November and thats when ill be having it locked in my vehicle. Im in the state of Florida. I know you have to be 21 to get your permit to carry a concealed weapon and I know once im 18 I can legally have a shotgun in my vehicle without permit..But whats the law about a pistol?

Thank you in advance to everyone

Default Re: Laws On Carrying(not on person)

IANAL and I don't know Florida law, but to the best of my knowledge PA law dictates that an unlicensed person can only have a gun in the car if they are directly on their way to one of a few predesignated locations (range, gun smith, gun shop, home, fixed place of business). Additionally, it must be in a separate locked compartment from the ammo.

Again, IANAL and I don't know Florida law, but if it's anything like PA law you probably can't carry it in your car until you get a CWP/LTCF from Florida or a state with reciprocity.

(Jefferson County)

At 18 in Florida you can transport a loaded handgun in a car without a license by the following means;

1. in a closed glovebox
    2. in a secure enclosure and not readily accessible. IE: in a snapped/buckled holster, in a latched box, in a zipped bag, etc, and not within arm's reach. The holsters, bags, boxes MUST be snapped/zipped/latched/etc..

Age of possession in Florida is 18 for handguns, but its 21 to get a CWP to carry on your person concealed. You may lawfully possess a handgun in your car in the two above means.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    At 18 in Florida you can transport a loaded handgun in a car without a license by the following means;

1. in a closed glovebox
    2. in a secure enclosure and not readily accessible. IE: in a snapped/buckled holster, in a latched box, in a zipped bag, etc, and not within arm's reach. The holsters, bags, boxes MUST be snapped/zipped/latched/etc..

Age of possession in Florida is 18 for handguns, but its 21 to get a CWP to carry on your person concealed. You may lawfully possess a handgun in your car in the two above means.
    You're making me hate PA's laws...

Quote Originally Posted by big561 View Post
    Im trying to find the laws on carrying a pistol in my car, Ill be 18 in November and thats when ill be having it locked in my vehicle. Im in the state of Florida. I know you have to be 21 to get your permit to carry a concealed weapon and I know once im 18 I can legally have a shotgun in my vehicle without permit..But whats the law about a pistol?

Thank you in advance to everyone
    To be clear...are you asking about carrying in PA or FL or both? Are you planning a trip to PA??

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
    You're making me hate PA's laws...
    FL's gun laws aren't so great either. You must carry concealed, so actually carrying by someone <21yo is forbidden except for hunting. There is a 3 day waiting period on handguns, and counties can elect a waiting period on rifles and shotguns too, which many do. There is a training requirement to get a concealed weapons permit.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    FL's gun laws aren't so great either. You must carry concealed, so actually carrying by someone <21yo is forbidden except for hunting. There is a 3 day waiting period on handguns, and counties can elect a waiting period on rifles and shotguns too, which many do. There is a training requirement to get a concealed weapons permit.
    Well in that case, I'd much rather have our (better, but not perfect) carry laws than theirs. Still, the vehicle law is BS.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    To be clear...are you asking about carrying in PA or FL or both? Are you planning a trip to PA??
    Just in Fla. I know this is a PA thread but its the only one I could find lol.

Quote Originally Posted by big561 View Post
    Just in Fla. I know this is a PA thread but its the only one I could find lol.
    OK, gotcha. Not that you are not welcome here , but here is something from FL for you to check out: