Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Question Gun purchase etiquette question(s)

I need some advice, or better, HALP! I think that I'm missing some trick or making some kind of error in procedure when trying to make a firearm purchase. I'm puzzled, not whining, the whining light is permanently OFF. I'm trying to learn to participate in this forum.

I've "pm'd" four members that had ads in the classifieds, firearms, to try to purchase the items that were listed. Results have been; no answer, two "sold" after a wait and still waiting on the most recent pm, but thinking now that ain't gonna happen either.

I think that one "sold" was my bad for not jumping sooner. Oh well, lesson learned. Others, I don't know. I wondered if responding to pm's took too long so I've added my email address and cell number in my response, but no joy yet.

I thought that distance might present a problem but I note that some advertisers are out-of-state, CA, VT. I'm fairly centrally located near Williamsport, PA. I've offered to meet and prefer a f2f transaction, rather than shipping rifles. Pistols are, of course, another matter.

Advice? Suggestions? How-tos? What am I missing here?

Default Re: Gun purchase etiquette question(s)

You're new. You don't have a track record; and nobody knows you. Still, give it more time; and, on a personal note: 'The door swings both ways!' So, caveat emptor - OK!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by drose40 View Post
    I need some advice, or better, HALP! I think that I'm missing some trick or making some kind of error in procedure when trying to make a firearm purchase. I'm puzzled, not whining, the whining light is permanently OFF. I'm trying to learn to participate in this forum.

I've "pm'd" four members that had ads in the classifieds, firearms, to try to purchase the items that were listed. Results have been; no answer, two "sold" after a wait and still waiting on the most recent pm, but thinking now that ain't gonna happen either.

I think that one "sold" was my bad for not jumping sooner. Oh well, lesson learned. Others, I don't know. I wondered if responding to pm's took too long so I've added my email address and cell number in my response, but no joy yet.

I thought that distance might present a problem but I note that some advertisers are out-of-state, CA, VT. I'm fairly centrally located near Williamsport, PA. I've offered to meet and prefer a f2f transaction, rather than shipping rifles. Pistols are, of course, another matter.

Be patient. The right deal will come along eventually.

You could post a "wanted to buy" ad. Post a list of firearms you would like to purchase. See if anyone contacts you that way. Negotiations can be tricky. I think most people would prefer a FTF transaction, but that isn't always practical.

(Allegheny County)

I'd agree with G21.45.
    As a good example of someone that is trusted here, check out Shawn.L posts for things to buy/sell. You'll notice that he not only is well known, respected and trusted, but also always includes a link back to other positive reviews from other transactions.

Hmmmm, well it could be that some of the people that haven't responded for a few and later responded as "sold"; were waiting on other responses from some PM's that came in before yours. The fact that you want a face to face transaction may help some. I agree with G21.45 part of it is that you're new here. You've been here since April, not very long, but not only that, you only have 1 post. It makes people distrusting, because you haven't been here long, they don't know if your some federal agent trying to entrap them to make some kind of illegal sale. They just don't know who you are, haven't seen you around, so they may not feel comfortable. We're more than happy to help you participate in the forum. A good start is to post around outside of the lounge so you actually start to get a post count. Ask some questions, answer some, just little things here and there so people get to see you. The lounge is another good place although it won't add to your post count, but it will help people get to know you a little bit and get used to seeing your name around. Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum.

(Lycoming County)

Thanks. All good info and yes I'm new.

Given the present national climate in Washington, I'm reordering the composition of my small collection. I'm totally unschooled in the finer points of defense weapons and am learning much from this forum.

I'll be posting questions more frequently as I learn. The beginning of knowledge is knowing what it is that you don't know. I'm finally learning enough to be able to frame some questions and to have reasons for proposed purchases. Now to find whether I'm on the right track.

Thanks again.
    Dan

(Allegheny County)

Just some info from a newer member that has successfully posted a few items for sale.

You may not have been the first to respond. I had several responses to the items I sold and I did reply to everyone. As far as I go, the first to respond gets the first "shot" (pun intended). Second response, second chance etc.

Now from the other side, I had someone state that one of my items was sold, he absolutely wanted it. I gave him several days to close the deal and I did state I wanted to be fair to the others interested so please do not drag this out. I never heard anything back from him. On to the next person. The door swings both ways.

The classifieds board is definately a good one here.

And I agree about Shawn. We met face to face today. Great guy.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

(Lycoming County)

As stated... the right deal will present itself.

I found this out when someone was selling an item and they were located in Dubiostown, image that!

One will work.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"