Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Dovetail Sight Pusher Recommendations

I am in the market to buy a sight pusher for dovetailed handgun style sights. I have seen some at various shopping websites (Midway, Brownells) yet most are very expensive at over 100 USD.

Before I buy one, does anyone here have experience with sight pushers? Can you recommend a particular model or brand? Thanks in advance.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Dovetail Sight Pusher Recommendations

i looked at purchasing a sight pusher and experienced the same sticker shock you have.

i decided to just stick with using a vice and brass punch to rig one up since i don't need one that often. (if you want more details, lemme know.)

not exactly what you were asking, i know, but still an idea. (and it bumps your question to the top of the new posts list. )
    F*S=k

(Montgomery County)

You got the idea of my question. A brass punch and or polymer punch seem so far to be the best ideas thus far. Hmm... perhaps simpler is more.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Northampton County)

I have one of the PI 500 sight pushers. I will say that I have only used it once but it worked as advertised. It is a well built tool that seems to be well designed.

I had been debating buying it for quite some time and couldn't decide if the cost was justified. Then I saw it on sale at Midway and decided to bite the bullet and buy it.

I figure between my guns and my friends guns, it will be money well spent....and you just can't have too many tools.

If you find yourself in the Pottstown/K of P area I'd be happy to let you examine it. You can even buy me a beer.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    You got the idea of my question. A brass punch and or polymer punch seem so far to be the best ideas thus far. Hmm... perhaps simpler is more.
    i would just suggest using the punch in combination with a vice so that you *push* the sight, rather than using a hammer with the punch to *pound* the sight.

it really isn't hard at all...and those dang sight pushers are frickin' expensive.
    F*S=k

(Centre County)

I have the P500 and to me it is well worth the money. With the accessories you can get it will hold any slide correctly and makes it a lot easier to remove (or reposition) a sight. However, I can justify the cost because it is a business tool and will get paid for over time by the jobs I do. If you are frequently changing or adjusting sights then IMO it is worrth the money and the P500 is one of the lower cost ones.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member