Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Farewell, old friend.

I haven't been to the site very often lately as I've had alot on my mind. After reading about Snert and Diamond, I figured it is okay now to share my story. I have recently had to put down a beloved pooch, my Shih-tzu, Dixie. She had been diagnosed diabetic in April of 08. We managed to keep her fairly well with regular insulin injections, twice a day. She had lost most of her sight, but with the injections had regained the weight she lost and was almost as active as prior. About six weeks ago we noticed her spine was showing again and she was starting to vomit after eating. Which became irregular. Her appetite was shot and she was lethargic, despite the injections. By this point our vet had her at 24 units, twice a day. We took her in to be looked at at, and the prognosis was grim. We were nearing unhealthy levels of insulin, but without it she would fail rapidly. Also, her bladder was starting to fill with "stones" AGAIN and another surgery was dicey, at best, given the diabetes. The poor girl had been through two bladder procedures (where they practically remove it and clean out the stones), a hernia surgery and now the diabetes. In the end, I had to convince myself (because I didn't want to do it) it was best for her to put her down. Probably the hardest thing, emotionally, I've ever had to do. I cried for days over her, often cying myself to sleep. She was the only one waiting for me when I got home from work at midnite, five nights a week, for the last 7 years. She loved me unconditionally, and loved laying on my lap when we took a drive in my truck. For a smaller dog, she had the fight of a lion and would roughouse with me for as long as I felt like. And many nights, while I was posting on forums such as this, she would lay at me feet, keeping my company, "protecting" me. She was my baby, my friend, my companion.

Just this past Thursday, my wife and I took a drive out to Lancaster, where we picked up a puppy. An 11-week-old Cavachon. I beat myself up with guilt for a week before I decided that I NEEDED a dog in my life. I had had one for all but three of my 36 years, and the empty feeling was killing me. Plus, it will hopefully help the kids cope with losing Dixie. To be sure, Maggie will never replace Dixie, but she helps soften the blow. Plus, she's cute as hell.

Goodbye, Dixie. You will always be a part of our lives, and we will love you forever! And you will always be my puppy.

Last edited by sxHarr05; August 29th, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Farewell, old friend.

So very sorry for you loss. Its always hard to loose a member of the family.
    Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! ~Les Mis

(Pike County)

I have had 2 times I have watched people pass on in front of me due to illness and injury. It never has effected me.
    BUT to lose one of my kids , 4 legged just hurts so much. it feels as if someone has carved my heart out.
    Most of us who have been in the situation you and I are in know what it is, its love for our companions. It is a true unconditional love that only some can comprehend. To some its just a dog, to others it is one of their children.

It is always best to keep the good thoughts in your mind, and in your heart. And always know Dixie, is your guardian angle watching over you.
    I am truely sorry for your loss of Dixie, I know what you are going through. And so do others here.

Snert...

Geez, August was NOT a good month for dogs around here!

Sorry to hear it bud but also happy to see you have a new friend in your life, it won't replace your old friend but it may make it easier to cope.

(Beaver County)

sorry to hear about your loss.
    With out the love there would be no pain.
    Love is worth the pain.
    "Yell it from that Mountain High 'I was Born Free' " ~ Kid Rock

(Allegheny County)

Gotta say, I thought the same as DC said... lots of sadness lately.

I'm very sorry for your loss, s.bass.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Gotta say, I thought the same as DC said... lots of sadness lately.

I'm very sorry for your loss, s.bass.
    Have to agree. It is a shame that our pets have such a short life span..
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

It may be that there is also just enough comfort and genuine feelings being expressed that some people are more comfortable sharing their story. I'm very sorry to hear about you losing your little girl S.bass73. I believe that you made the right decision for her, the unselfish and gracious one. I've had to make this decision and sometimes carry it out myself, it's a very difficult ones. The difficulty means that it was important, and I think you did right.

I'm glad to see that you have a new friend to soften the blow. She looks cute, for a little dog , lol. Thank you for sharing, and things will get better.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the kind and comforting words, everyone. Nice to see the dog loving community is strong here.
    To clarify, the pic I posted is of Dixie, taken about 6 months ago. Haven't uploaded any of the new pup yet.
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

(Bucks County)

read the rainbow bridge, Very touching poem about losing a dog..always brings a tear to my eye,,,Im very sorry for your loss...May your new dog bring happiness in you family's life..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast