Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting out...

(Lancaster County)

Default Starting out...

Well, i'm getting a nice new vaquero in .45lc this week, and after spending $35 on a box of ammo i've decided i need to start reloading. I have a single stage lee press, but thats about it, anyone want to give me some pointers on what else to pickup, ect?
    Semper Fi

Default Re: Starting out...

A couple reloading manuals would be a good start. Then you'll need a set of carbide dies. With carbide dies you don't have to lube the cases. Lee dies are less expensive & will get the job done just fine. Powder measure, scales & calipers. I have a couple sets of Lee dies for pistols, but the rest of my stuff is all RCBS or Redding. Get the best you can afford. Most of my reloading equip is over 35 years old & I expect it to outlast me.

Other than that, just brass, bullets, primers, powder & you should be ready to start rolling your own.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but because i'm loading for a revolver, i dont have to worry about trimming the case down to length after shooting it? Since there is not an issue of headspace.
    I'd also be interested in casting my own lead bullets, anyone recommend how to get started in that?
    Semper Fi

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironcowboy View Post
    Now correct me if i'm wrong, but because i'm loading for a revolver, i dont have to worry about trimming the case down to length after shooting it? Since there is not an issue of headspace.
    I'd also be interested in casting my own lead bullets, anyone recommend how to get started in that?
    You still need to check length because revolver chambers have a limit. Its not as critical on rimmed straight wall cartridges because they headspace on the rim, but they do need checked after a couple reloads. The higher the pressure loads, the more they will stretch, the more often you will have to check the length. Very light cowboy and blackpowder loads can go virtually forever in most cases without much stretch. But high pressure loads will work the brass more.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

I'll probably be shooting lighter loads mostly, since its cheaper and i can shoot more for practice. Any recommendations on a good cheap reloading manual?
    Semper Fi

Casting your own. Welcome to the dark side. You need some form of lead, a melting pot, molds, lube and maybe luber-sizer. Go to www.midwayusa.com and look a equipment for casting, then come back and we can talk about what you want an need. I started with a Lee 4 pound pot, a dipper, 2 hole mold, and a hand lube kit. After 30 years of casting I have a 20 pound bottom pour pot, 1, 2, 4, and 6 hole molds, heated luber-sizer, and other tools. It tends to grow.

I'll probably be shooting lighter loads mostly, since its cheaper and i can shoot more for practice. Any recommendations on a good cheap reloading manual?
    Lee second edition is good n cheap
    GET THE NET !!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    Casting your own. Welcome to the dark side. You need some form of lead, a melting pot, molds, lube and maybe luber-sizer. Go to www.midwayusa.com and look a equipment for casting, then come back and we can talk about what you want an need. I started with a Lee 4 pound pot, a dipper, 2 hole mold, and a hand lube kit. After 30 years of casting I have a 20 pound bottom pour pot, 1, 2, 4, and 6 hole molds, heated luber-sizer, and other tools. It tends to grow.
    So does something like this look good?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=789762

Say i start out using wheel weights for lead, and i melt it over my fire in my wood stove in an old pot to start. What should i use for lube?
    Also, any good recommendations on powder for cowboy action shooting/starting out?

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Lee second edition is good n cheap
    Ok thanks, i'll look it up.

PS. I guess no one has any old used equipment that they started out with, but have since upgraded, that they would want to sell for cheap?
    Semper Fi

(Warren County)

Correct on the no need to trim for revolvers

I'd start out with a Lee 2 cavity mold with tumble lube grooves.
    SOOOOsimple to lube them.

Accurate diameter sizing isn't quite so demanding on a Cast Boolit, espcially with pistol velocities and pressures.

Too fat is better than too skinny, for accuracy. If you are leading the barrel too much, you can get inexpensive Lee sizing dies that fit in your press.

Start scrounging wheel weights.

Go here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Read lots before spending.

Go to Salvation Army or Goodwill for smelting tools to create ingots.
    ( big cast iron or steel pot, ladles, skimmers, muffin pans, etc.)
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Correct on the no need to trim for revolvers

I'd start out with a Lee 2 cavity mold with tumble lube grooves.
    SOOOOsimple to lube them.

Accurate diameter sizing isn't quite so demanding on a Cast Boolit, espcially with pistol velocities and pressures.

Too fat is better than too skinny, for accuracy. If you are leading the barrel too much, you can get inexpensive Lee sizing dies that fit in your press.

Start scrounging wheel weights.

Go here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Read lots before spending.

Go to Salvation Army or Goodwill for smelting tools to create ingots.
    ( big cast iron or steel pot, ladles, skimmers, muffin pans, etc.)
    Good stuff man! Thanks!
    I should be able to get wheel weights free or for next to nothing at my local U-pull junk yard, so i'll check into that next time i head up.
    By skimmer, what are you saying? Is that for removing the junk that floats to the top of the lead (i'm assuming that happens?)

Again, i'm a noob to this, so any info is great! But at the same time i'm not an idiot, so i assume some of the stuff is kinda self explanatory once you get it all laid out.

Thanks!
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast