Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default ? for 44 Mag shooters

Guys,
    First off, I will clarify. 44 Mag REVOLVER shooters. Anyways. I am thinking of getting a 44 Mag. My question to those who shoot this caliber is whether or not I should go with 4 or 6 inch barrel. Is this caliber too much for a 4 inch barrel?

While I have your attention. Question two. Which brand/model do you guys own/shoot? I am leaning towards Colt Anaconda or S&W 29 or 629 but would love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks

You must be bored with your own life., Pennsylvania

Default Re: ? for 44 Mag shooters

Ruger Super Blackhawk

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?t...%20Convertible

The smaller the barrel, the more the recoil and vice versa. I like longer barrels for .44 caliber. If you can handle the kick back, then go for the smaller barrel!

(Westmoreland County)

.44 mag is fine in any barrel length...it just depends on your needs. 6 and 8" are better for target shooting and hunting (more accurate!) The 2 and 4" barrels are more suited for self protection/carrying and/or concealing.

Personally, I have an 8" Anaconda and a 6" Raging Bull...love them both! They are both a dream to shoot and extremely accurate!

Last edited by RocketFoot; October 30th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

Depends on what you intend to do with it, a carry gun go with the 4", of get one of the Ruger Alaskans with the 2 1/4", for hunting stick with the 6", no the .44mag is not alot of gun for a 4", there are a few people i know who carry one everyday, and you can also use the .44 spl in it also which is a formidable defense round, contray to popular beleif. as for a model anything from Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Dan Wesson, Even Taurus yes the dreaded taurus, all make great revolvers, i have a 629 DX that i use for deer with the 8 3/8" barrel and i love it. I also have represenitives from the other makers as well and i have a Colt Anaconda with the realtree camo finish and redfield scope, the .44mag is a very versital cartridge, that has many use's from selfdefense to hunting.
    There are bullets availible for everything, as well as the .44spl for small game and defense work as well.

(Philadelphia County)

Since I'm guessing that you're not going to play Dirty Harry and lug the huge thing around, I'd go with a fun 6 or 8" barrel gun, preferable with full underlug like the Anaconda to help with the recoil. I HIGHLY recommend the under-appreciated Dan Wesson 744. They generally cost less than a Colt or S&W, but are solid revolvers. I think the Ruger is a decent option too. Here are my two:

Dan Wesson 744, 6"

S&W 629 Performance Center, 7.5"

Al

(Centre County)

I happen to like my Ruger Redhawk (7 1/2" bbl). IMO, the Rugers arebthe best value for the money. Built like tanks, some even have their own load listings because how strong they are. My next 44 will probably be another Redhawk, but with the 5 1/2" barrel.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lackawanna County)

Mine is a Smith 29 Classic. Very smooth, very accurate, good looking pistol too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

(Bucks County)

If its for hunting or mid range target shooting, then definitely get the longer barrel. I have a S&W 629 with the 8 3/8" barrel. I carry it in a bandolier holster that also accounts for the scope.

If its for closer range shooting (don't want to call it plinking ) then I'd go with a 4 or 6" barrel max.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I happen to like my Ruger Redhawk (7 1/2" bbl). IMO, the Rugers arebthe best value for the money. Built like tanks, some even have their own load listings because how strong they are. My next 44 will probably be another Redhawk, but with the 5 1/2" barrel.
    Ditto on the Super Redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel. Best value, nice frame for scope.

I bought mine for my Alaskan fishing trip last summer, being concerned abouts bears when I would be fishing in their pantry. And it worked well, didn't see a single bear!

My brother, who lives up there, did encounter a bear a couple of weeks later. He didn't have to use his .44 Magnum, but was sure glad he had it. From what he tells me, he now, in addition to this handgun, packs extra underwear when he goes fishing.
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton

(Philadelphia County)

Ok as someone that owns many 44's and carries one on a daily basis,,,,
    my 629-2 mountain gun 4" tapered bbl, Square butt... for all intensive purposes this is a light trail gun, i carry it alot, it can be painful to shoot more than 30 shots in a day.... now my pre 29 with 6 1/2 bbl is a dream to shoot i have fored more than 500 rounds in one long day and it wasnt bad... lighter recoil as to be expected, the Ruger well thats another story... "IT HURTS" thats all ill say. the Taurus is a peice of shit. plain and simple. as is the charter arms one.... The Colt Anaconda is great but its wayyyyyyy too expensive and the timing goes after the 50th round roughly then try finding a smith that can put the timing back.... good luck... Get a S&W save yourself the headache, get a PRE-LOCK model.... the lock era guns lock up quite a bit with 44mag.... ive had 2 newer 629's and both of them got the lock's ripped out.... hope this helps
    The 357 magnum, enough said......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast