Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Body Armor Questions? Plates? Shape? Carriers?

With the recent group buy going on, I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you can help me with before I make a purchase.

You have an option of formed or flat plates, what are the pros and cons of the two shapes? Is one better than the other? Is one better up front and one better in the back?

Side plates. Are they something that most of you would recommend or not? How uncomfortable are they?

The Carriers they are offering ride rather high. Meant to be a bit more discreet and less obtrusive. Compared to full cumberbun style vest, which do you think would be the better choice?

I know that a vest that actually comes down to your waist, is driven up into your neck when you sit down. So, how do the full "cumberbun" style of carriers work for sitting in.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Body Armor Questions? Plates? Shape? Carriers?

Wow... no replies. Never expected that. Guess I'm not the only one confused by all this.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Philadelphia County)

I saw a carrier that was for a really good price, had one in my size (S), did a little research and actually ended up buying that carrier and plates on eBay. I don't have any experience wearing or work-related experiences so I can only tell you my thinking/reasoning.

1. I opted for curved plate just because they seem to be more recent. Could be a fad, but seems logical that it's better to have the plate curves around your body. The curves aren't significant though. I have both Kevlar Level IIIa and AR500 Level III plates. The Kevlar is around 2lbs...the AR500 is closer to 8lbs...EACH!!! I bought the AR500 first and just didn't see that I will like to actually carry 16lbs in addition to all the other stuff so I bought the Kevlar insert. The AR500 plates actually have right and left hand cuts (1 corner is cut more for better shooting comfort...can't say if it makes that much of a difference).

Kevlar: I bought 2 of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160936225607...84.m1497.l2649 . The seller is from Israel and will give you $5 off shipping per plate if you messaged him.

AR500: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281038227084...84.m1497.l2649

2. My AR500 plates came as a set with the side plate. Didn't cost too much more so I figure what the heck. Given the overall weight, I won't be using the side plates either. More protection is better, but I personally would feel just fine with just the 2 main plates.

3. The carrier I got came has an optional cummerbund. It's this one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DBT-Predator...item4d087fb19e . I don't have others to compare to, but these seem to be really good quality. The seller is very good with offers and shipping is free for $100 or more.

I wasn't intend for my setup to be discrete so I like the option for MOLLE attachments and was not concerned about standing up or sitting down.

Anyway, sorry can't be of more help with more practical experience, but I like my setup in the end that didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Lebanon County)

I don't have any experience with flat plates but, the body armor in Iraq we had formed plates. When I say formed plates, it's not like the plates are totally formed for every body type, they basically just have a curve to better fit the general form of a human torso. As far as side plates go, it depends on your view of armor vs. mobility. Yeah, they protect your sides rather well but, at the same time that can be an extra 10lbs to carry and they are also more cumbersome, making it a little more difficult to get in and out of vehicles easily. At home here, I have a plate carrier and decided for right now to skip the side plates. I like mobility a little better than more weight and armor. Just my two cents on the situation.

i see most plates are 10x12

i am 6'2" and ~250lbs (broad shoulders, athletic build)

should i look into getting plates slightly wider/longer? any help from any other big guys would be appreciated.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Monroe County)

I have been looking at the US Palm Defender series. Granted it is pretty small but looks like a nice rig for the price:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I have been looking at the US Palm Defender series. Granted it is pretty small but looks like a nice rig for the price:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
    that seems like a nice rig with a reasonable price. nice it can serve as a plate carrier as well incase you want some level III stuff in the future. doesnt have any room for side plates though.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    that seems like a nice rig with a reasonable price. nice it can serve as a plate carrier as well incase you want some level III stuff in the future. doesnt have any room for side plates though.
    Don't know but that price INCLUDES Level III soft plate up to 44 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Don't know but that price INCLUDES Level III soft plate up to 44 mag.
    IIIa is 9mm and 44mag
    level III is 7.62 nato

here is a link to a good chart on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_armor
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    IIIa is 9mm and 44mag
    level III is 7.62 nato

here is a link to a good chart on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_armor
    Right sorry, it's 3a. I said that because I felt that maybe you were under the impression that it was JUST a carrier.... my apologies.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; March 21st, 2013 at 06:38 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast