Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hello, new member here w/some questions.

Hello all,

I am a resident of Delaware County, Pa. and have the form filled out, my $46 and time off work to make the trip to the courthouse.

I've been reading over the forum as much as I can (totally got caught up in the Dickson City issue, amazing!) but would just like some clarification on somethings I am unsure/unclear of.

1. Once I get the CCW license back am I then able to transport my weapon to the range, or anywhere, in the cabin of my car vs. the trunk while keeping the ammo separate?

2. Does the CCW license give you the option to conceal as well as carry open at your discretion?

3. I thought concealing meant just that, not letting others know you have a firearm on your persons. If you're carrying concealed and someone notices it because your shirt rode up or something could you technically be charged with brandishing a firearm since it was supposed to be concealed.. Or could you just say, no I was not trying to conceal it, I am carrying it open, that always confused me.

Sorry for the questions, I just wanted to be clear on what is what.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Hello, new member here w/some questions.

To answer your questions...

#1.. YES

#2.. You do NOT need a LTCF for open carry..... only if you carry concealed or on your person in a vehicle, or in the City Of Philadelphia....

#3.. There is NO such thing as brandishing in PA.... If your firearm is accidently shown when your shirt rides up, so be it... as long as you have a LTCF you are good to go...

Read this thread about where you can and cannot carry...... it will explain alot of your questions...

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by nai View Post
    Hello all,

I am a resident of Delaware County, Pa. and have the form filled out, my $46 and time off work to make the trip to the courthouse.

I've been reading over the forum as much as I can (totally got caught up in the Dickson City issue, amazing!) but would just like some clarification on somethings I am unsure/unclear of.

1. Once I get the CCW license back am I then able to transport my weapon to the range, or anywhere, in the cabin of my car vs. the trunk while keeping the ammo separate?

2. Does the CCW license give you the option to conceal as well as carry open at your discretion?

3. I thought concealing meant just that, not letting others know you have a firearm on your persons. If you're carrying concealed and someone notices it because your shirt rode up or something could you technically be charged with brandishing a firearm since it was supposed to be concealed.. Or could you just say, no I was not trying to conceal it, I am carrying it open, that always confused me.

I'm not a lawyer, but this is my best understanding:

1. With your LTCF you can carry loaded in your vehicle: on your hip or whatever.

2. The LTCF allows you to carry a weapon concealed and in your vehicle. You need no license to open carry a weapon when on foot anywhere in PA except in Philadelphia, where you do need an LTCF to open carry (and carry concealed, obviously).

3. Open carry is legal in PA, and there is no brandishing law here. There have been some reported incidents of LEO's not really knowing the law on carrying openly, and people have run into some harassment with it, but it is legal. If you print or your shirt rides up, you are not violating any laws.

ETA: Schr8er beat me to it.
    Last edited by angus; January 20th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.

(Tioga County)

1. Once you have your License To Carry a Firearm. it's not a CCW permit. You can carry it loaded any way you want to.

2. There is no law against open carry in PA you can OC (open carry) or CC ( concealed carry).

3. there is no "brandishing" law in PA so you can't be charged with that either.

The are several stickies read them there is also links to the UFA ( uniform Firearms Act). you should read that also. several times I might add.

Hello all,

USNRET '61-'81

Since the other guys answered all your questions already, all I can add is WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

(Mercer County)

Welcome to PAFOA!

(Luzerne County)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.
    Be sure to check out Pa. Patriot’s gun rights flyer, too. It gives a quick low-down of all the basics as far as Pennsylvania’s gun carry laws.