Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Ladder stands on state game lands?

Is it ok to setup a ladder stand on state game lands? I'd like to scout this spring for deer season and set up a stand in the late summer months. Anyone know if this is ok?

Default Re: Ladder stands on state game lands?

I believe you have to remove it daily....get a climber.
    Jules

(Luzerne County)

There is a thread about this over on HuntingPA.com and while they should be removed daily, I think the PGC lets this issue slide during the hunting season. Once the season is over they would want them removed.

Another issue is people who put up these stands declare......"this is my spot!" When in reality, just because you leave the stand there doesn't mean someone else can't use it. Of course it might lead to a few bloody noses or worse when the person who put the stand there meets up with a person sitting in the stand.

The SGL is public land and no "spot" belongs to anyone. Nothing to prevent the person from sitting at the base of your tree or the next tree over.

As Steve said plus it'll likely get ripped off or vandalized. You may be surprised how much effort some people will put into being juvenile. People can't be bothered to drag a 100 lb ladder stand into the woods, but can find the effort to destroy or take yours.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Centre County)

Yes it is allowed, but what the others said it must be removed daily. That is why most take a climber with them. Any type stand you use cannot harm the tree, no cutting of branches, no screwing in of steps, no nailing of anything into the tree, etc. Again, if you leave it up be prepared to have it stolen, there are some real asshat people out there (I will not confer to them the title hunter).

My friends and I caught 2 guys trying to steal my stand, on our well posted private property! (our camp borders SGL176). They said that the owner of the stand (me!!) told them to take it down so that it can be refurbished and repainted. I asked one of them to climb up and see what was written on the underneath side of the seat (my name and address). He did and came down and I showed him my drivers license. He was stammering a lot and they both tried to leave. While this was being done one of the other guys I was with was discreetly calling the police. We held both for the police (a WCO also was contacted and came) and they got charged for trespass and various and sundry other charges by both the police and WCO. They were both well known by both the police and the WCO. This time they got caught big time and won't be hunting for a while. We now regularly check our property. BTW, they would have had a hard getting it as I have a hefty chain and lock securing it to the tree (had someone try to take it before) and they didn't have anything big enough to cut or break it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member