Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: QUESTION ..

(Luzerne County)

Question QUESTION ..

HI .. Im new to the world of gun owning. Actually i dont own a gun yet. I live in Wilkes-Barre but have handeled and fired pistols in Mountain Top a couple times and have always planned on purchasing a gun when i turned 21. I have questions that have problly been answered numerous times or are completely stupid and i apologize ahead of time.

1 .. Do you need any type of permit/license to purchase a firearm from a dealer (once im 21 Y.O.A) if i were to just be keeping it in my house?

2 .. I really dont know the difference between open carry and concealed carry, ive read some threads but cant find the answer for some reason, maybe im just dumb .... ?

thats it .. thank you and sorry again

(York County)

Default Re: QUESTION ..

No license is required to purchase a gun.

You do need a license to carried concealled. You do not need a license to openly carry.
    As far as the difference....concealled means the gun is hidden (in a pocket, shirt drapped over it...things like that. Open carry means just that..the gun is carried openly. Lots of folks do open carry...I haven't yet, but I don't get too concerned if the gun prints or is exposed momentarilly.

Keep reading more threads..most of the answers you're looking for are here...just remember, we offer a lot of opinions. None of these opinions carry any legal weight.

(Luzerne County)

ok .. thank you .. ill keep checking for more opinons

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by miclo19 View Post

2 .. I really dont know the difference between open carry and concealed carry, ive read some threads but cant find the answer for some reason, maybe im just dumb .... ?
    An often overlooked part of the PAFOA web site are the tabs at the top of the page:

For example, the question I quoted above is answered on the "LAW" page.

Lots of great info amongst those tabs at the top.

Bill

(Venango County)

Let's not forget that even in open carry, once you get into a vehicle, you need a LTCF or to unload and store the firearm out of reach.

And Philladelphia requires an LTCF even for open carry because they are a city of the first class which is the only exception in Pa. (so far)

That is it in a nutshell but do seek the laws and pamphelets that are posted about the site.