Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default CC pistols with thumb safeties?

I'd like to gather a list of handguns that are generally considered suitable for Concealed Carry which also have a thumb or external safety besides just a trigger and/or grip safety. Basically, any handgun except the incredibly large ones. I have a full size 1911, which is just slightly too large for me to carry.

I was reading the article over in CC forum: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...e-chamber.html and admittedly, I rarely carry with one in the chamber. I just don't feel comfortable with a trigger safety only gun (Glock 19), one in the chamber, in my SmartCarry. I have no problem when wearing my CTAC, but when I carry, I usually use my SmartCarry. Because of circumstances, I'm usually forced to carry in the most concealed manner (which for me is a smartcarry) and I don't think the cloth is rigid enough to prevent an odd shaped item from potentially catching on the trigger.

So can we please compile a list of guns with other safeties besides or in addition to trigger and grip safeties? I personally prefer semi-automatic handguns, but listing any gun that meets these criteria may help people with a similar concern to mine. Please keep this to the topic at hand. If you'd like to try to convince me to carry my G19 with one in the chamber in my smartcarry, do so here only if you post a handgun that meets this criteria. Otherwise, I'll continue to read through the many pages in the thread over in the CC forum.

Any caliber generally considered suitable for self-defense is acceptable (I know that statement might be a powder-keg, but please keep caliber discussions for a separate thread).

So far we have:
    • S&W M&P 45 w/thumb safety.

• Bersa's

• Walther's (most)

• most S&W autos

• Taurus PT series

• Ruger P345

• Beretta autos (most)

• Sig Sauer P220 SAO

• any 1911, 2011 or Para Hicap

• Jericho 941

• Wilson Combat KZ45

• Wilson Combat KZ45 Compact

• Kimber BP 10 II

• Kimber BP 10 II Pro

• Charles Daly M5

• Springfield Armory XD models with Thumb Safety

• FN FNP SAO

• HK's
    Last edited by Mancolt; December 2nd, 2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Adding to list

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: CC pistols with thumb safeties?

Bersa Thunder .45. Heres one on gunbroker http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=117093682
    for example. Or Taurus PT 145 http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=117377646 or if your used to your 1911 get a variant like a commander size or officers model.

(Northampton County)

Well, I had been looking at the Beretta 9000S, which is small and has a fairly large manual safety. And it's purty, too.

But I went for a Walther PPS instead, and several headaches later, is a very good little gun. Yet isn't for what you seem to be looking.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Chester County)

USPc...not exactly tiny, though.

(Allegheny County)

I can't contribute to the list, but here is another guy who could use the list when you get it compiled.

...an onlooker then saw Burress near the V.I.P. area of the club holding a drink in his left hand and fidgeting his right hand in the area of the waistline of his pants. The witness then heard a single “pop” sound before hearing Burress say, “Take me to the hospital.”

=============================

New York Times
    December 2, 2008

Plaxico Burress Arraigned on Gun Charges

By Juliet Macur, Al Baker, Colin Moyniham
    This article was reported by Juliet Macur, Al Baker and Colin Moynihan and written by Ms. Macur.

As Giants receiver Plaxico Burress was arraigned Monday on two separate counts of a weapons charge, harsh reactions and new questions arose about the events early Saturday morning, when Burress accidentally shot himself in the thigh at a Manhattan nightclub with an illegal handgun.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and the Police Department criticized the Giants, who they said neglected to notify the authorities of the shooting, and NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where Burress was treated, for failing to call the police about his gun-related injury, as state law requires.

The mayor also condemned Burress, saying he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Burress, out on $100,000 bail, did not have a permit to carry the handgun. He is scheduled to return to Manhattan Criminal Court on March 31.

Pointing out that the police did not find out about the incident until it was reported on television, the mayor said, “The hospital didn’t call and the Giants didn’t call, and the Giants should have picked up the phone right away, as good corporate citizens.”

He called it an outrage that the hospital did not notify the police after Burress showed up seeking treatment and said that prosecutors should “go after” the management of the hospital.

Paul J. Browne, a spokesman for the Police Department, said Monday that the department expected the N.F.L. and the Giants to be more forthcoming, considering the seriousness of the situation. The Giants and the N.F.L. said they were cooperating fully with the authorities.

Browne said: “We haven’t gotten a level of cooperation. We haven’t from the N.F.L. or the Giants.”

“You have a series of events,” he added. “And there’s a universe of silence after this shooting.”

Browne said that the police had been promised by N.F.L. security, for example, that Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce — who was with Burress at the club that night — would be available at noon Monday for questioning in the shooting. Burress’s unlicensed handgun was in the glove compartment of Pierce’s Cadillac Escalade at some point, the police said.

But Pierce failed to show up at the 17th Precinct station house in Midtown and was not available for an interview when the police showed up at his residence. Instead, at least two members of the Giants’ staff — Charles Way, the director of player development, and Ronnie Barnes, vice president for medical services — arrived to talk, the police said.

There was also confusion Monday regarding which other Giants player was with Burress and Pierce at the club. The police said they were told by nightclub security that it was running back Derrick Ward, but Ward said Sunday that he was not at the club. Other reports indicated that it was Ahmad Bradshaw, not Ward. On Monday, Giants Coach Tom Coughlin said he was disappointed about Bradshaw’s reported involvement.

Despite the conflicting information, Giants officials insist they have been cooperating in the investigation.

“In the early hours of Saturday morning, as we started to get a sense of what we were dealing with, we did, in fact, notify N.F.L. security, which then contacted the police,” the team spokesman Pat Hanlon said.

Greg Aiello, a league spokesman, said that N.F.L. security notified the police early Saturday morning after being told of the shooting by “a representative of the Giants.” He added that N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke to Bloomberg late Monday, ensuring Bloomberg that the league was doing everything it could to help the investigation.

“He reiterated our pledge to fully cooperate,” Aiello said. “And he expressed his expectation that players would be held accountable. He told the mayor, ‘Let us know how we can help.’ ”

In what prosecutors called “a strong case,” Burress faces a mandatory sentence of 3 ˝ years in state prison, with a maximum of 15 years, on each count of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon. Benjamin Brafman, Burress’s lawyer, said Burress planned to plead not guilty to both counts.

Burress, who caught the winning touchdown in the Giants’ Super Bowl victory in February, surrendered to the police Monday, showing up at the 17th Precinct station house at 8 a.m., with no limp.

Later Monday, having declined to speak with the police for two days about the incident, Burress posed for mug shots and was electronically fingerprinted.

“He is standing tall,” Brafman said. “He’s a mature adult handling this very well, I think, under the circumstances. He has asked me to tell all the fans who have written and called, and his teammates, that he very much appreciates their expressions of concern.”

Throughout the day, as Burress made his way through the legal system, the police confirmed details of the shooting incident.

Burress arrived at the Latin Quarter nightclub in Manhattan at 1:20 a.m. Saturday morning, with four others, including two teammates.

The criminal complaint, released by prosecutors Monday, said that an onlooker then saw Burress near the V.I.P. area of the club holding a drink in his left hand and fidgeting his right hand in the area of the waistline of his pants. The witness then heard a single “pop” sound before hearing Burress say, “Take me to the hospital.”

Burress was on the ground, with his legs shaking, when a bloody gun — a .40-caliber Glock pistol — fell out of his pant leg and onto the floor, the onlooker said. Investigators believe that Pierce was standing next to Burress when the gun went off. The bullet, which broke through the skin of Burress’s right thigh and pierced muscle tissue, traveled through the leg before lodging itself somewhere in the club.

Burress left the club by 1:50 a.m., the police said, and arrived at the hospital at 2:04 a.m., according to surveillance cameras at the hospital.

The gun, with the magazine gone and the chamber cleared, was then placed in the glove compartment of Pierce’s S.U.V., said Browne, the police spokesman.

Pierce, who was interviewed by N.F.L. security at the Giants’ team hotel Saturday, is now under investigation for “his role, regarding the gun and the case itself,” Browne said.

After Sunday’s game, Pierce refused to answer questions about the shooting. On Monday, he hired the lawyer Michael Bachner. “His intention is to cooperate in the investigation,” Bachner said.

Burress checked into Weill Cornell Medical Center at 2:20 a.m., where he was treated and released at 1 p.m. Saturday. The police arrived an hour and a half later, tipped off, they say, by news reports, not the hospital. A hospital administrator there was “not forthright with the police,” Browne said.

Burress’s immediate future with the Giants is uncertain. Under the league’s personal-conduct policy, violations of local gun laws can result in a player’s suspension. He also may be facing other weapons charges. It was unclear Monday whether charges would be filed against Burress in New Jersey, where he lives and where the gun was recovered from his home.

On a weekly conference call Monday, Coughlin declined to discuss the details of Burress’s case because of the continuing investigations. When asked if the team would deactivate Burress, he said the team was still dealing with those issues, adding that it was uncertain whether Burress would be at practice this week.

Fernanda Santos, John Eligon, Joe Lapointe and Michael S. Schmidt contributed reporting.

Fernanda Santos, John Eligon, Joe Lapointe and Michael S. Schmidt contributed reporting.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company
    Privacy Policy Search Corrections RSS First Look Help Contact Us Work for Us Site Map

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    USPc...not exactly tiny, though.
    Funny you mention that one. My roommate went home for Thanksgiving break and went to the range with one of his friends who has a USPc. He got back yesterday and started telling me how I *need* to get one. I am actually considering it, although that is a little more than I would like to spend. I'm looking for something $550ish or less.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawki72 View Post
    The criminal complaint, released by prosecutors Monday, said that an onlooker then saw Burress near the V.I.P. area of the club holding a drink in his left hand and fidgeting his right hand in the area of the waistline of his pants. The witness then heard a single “pop” sound before hearing Burress say, “Take me to the hospital.”

Burress was on the ground, with his legs shaking, when a bloody gun — a .40-caliber Glock pistol — fell out of his pant leg and onto the floor, the onlooker said. Investigators believe that Pierce was standing next to Burress when the gun went off. The bullet, which broke through the skin of Burress’s right thigh and pierced muscle tissue, traveled through the leg before lodging itself somewhere in the club.
    Sigh.... good old Glock 40's and people shooting themselves in the leg.

(Allegheny County)

Negative publicity for Concealed Carry aside, I find it hilarious that Plax shot himself. He is such an effing idiot. I've disliked him from day 1. Glad the Steelers got rid of him.

I just wish this didn't give the anti-CCers more ammunition as to why concealed carry should be banned. It's a big stretch but you know they'll try to use it...

Back to the topic, I'm going to try to keep the first post updated with the list so people don't have to go searching through posts to find the list.
    Last edited by Mancolt; December 2nd, 2008 at 02:23 AM. Reason: removing profanity

Taurus PT745 Millinium Pro

Ruger P345
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Chester County)

My Taurus Millennium Pro PT140 (.40 chambered version of the PT145) is just about perfect in terms of size, weight, and safety features.

Also, although I've not personally fired one, Walther PPK. I've never had the chance to manhandle one on the range, but I lust greatly for that pistol.
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast