Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default AK decision to make

So I missed the great Arsenal AK sale last month due to a lack of funds. Boo hoo hoo . Now that I've paid off most of my medical bills I have some breathing room again and I still want an AK. My only problem is figuring out which ones are good and which ones to avoid.

So my question is - What would you, Mr. or Mrs. AK Fan, buy if given $500 (and not a penny more) to spend on your favorite AK?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: AK decision to make

i like the romanians.
    they are not junk as claimed by most people nor just a bullet hose.
    i'm also a fan of the underfolders, though most are not. so given that, i would a wood stocked rifle from teh wasr family.
    a little fcg work and they are pretty slick. they will shoot as good as most others. alot are surprised by just how well they do.
    some elbow grease fixes the raw stocks up pretty good.
    i typically replace the straight forward lower grips with a bulged set.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lehigh County)

$500? Get yourself a WASR some extra mags, and some ammo. That way you can at least go out and have fun with it.

I don't believe there are any AKs to avoid, just the overpriced ones. I have Romy's, Yugo's, Saiga's, Polish... etc, etc. Some seem to be built abit more solid then others but none justify double the price of a WASR and they ALL work.

with $500 you should be able to score an AK from Classic, and then hunt around for some ammo online and still have some money left over.

my .02 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    So I missed the great Arsenal AK sale last month due to a lack of funds. Boo hoo hoo . Now that I've paid off most of my medical bills I have some breathing room again and I still want an AK. My only problem is figuring out which ones are good and which ones to avoid.

So my question is - What would you, Mr. or Mrs. AK Fan, buy if given $500 (and not a penny more) to spend on your favorite AK?
    I agree with everyone else. check out aimsurplus.com.

an underfolder for 419 (regular is currently out of stock)
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/R...x39_Rifle.html
    Last edited by hertz; December 26th, 2009 at 01:32 PM.

buy the cheapest one, romanian should be it, all aks are built under the same principle and I mean they all work the same way, take it from me, I have an amd-65 (hungarian) and also a m70ab2 (yugo underfolder) and they both funtion flawlessly, my friend owns a romanian akm and when he first bought it I thought it was garbage and that it wasn't as good as my aks (even though mine are not "top of the line"), of course I didn't tell him that, we took it to the range and guess what?, it shot a great deal of ammo (like 700 rnds) that day without a hiccup, I was impressed and realized that names and brands (at least when it comes to aks) don't say anything.......don't be fooled by what you hear about cheaper aks, it is true that the more expensive aks might have a better finish, but that's all it is.

good luck with your purchase.

(Northampton County)

You guys are really starting to give me the AK bug. They're fun, but never really wanted to own one. Except maybe a Valmet.

Almost want to run to the gunshow and pick one up tomorrow. But I really don't want to plunk down the money for 20K rounds of ammo in a new caliber.

(York County)

For $500 you choices are limited, but not to be discouraged you can still get a good AK for around $400(?). The last time I was at Dunhams in Hanover they had WASR10's for $449. I do believe they have gone down a little in price, but you should be able to get a nice used one with money left over to purchase some ammo and extra mags.

Check "fun shows" if you have any in your area. I was in the market for an AK some months ago, and went in looking for a WASR and found a beautiful Maadi AK that I jumped on for $345! With that in mind +1 for the WASR's. They are great firearms and are a blast to shoot! Best of luck to you sir!
    GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You guys are really starting to give me the AK bug. They're fun, but never really wanted to own one. Except maybe a Valmet.

Almost want to run to the gunshow and pick one up tomorrow. But I really don't want to plunk down the money for 20K rounds of ammo in a new caliber.
    don't rush and buy one now, just wait till shtf and you'll find russian ones laying on the ground which you can pick up off the dead taliban, lol.

I was just at Surplus City today. Rommie's were $380, Yugos were $500 and they had bullpups AK's for $500 also. Buy it, everyone should own one AK.
    At the very least to scare your anti family and friends with your evil Commie gun.
    It's a classic. You have to respect the simplicity and longevity of the design.

Talking Re: AK decision to make

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    I was just at Surplus City today. Rommie's were $380, Yugos were $500 and they had bullpups AK's for $500 also. Buy it, everyone should own one AK.
    At the very least to scare your anti family and friends with your evil Commie gun.
    It's a classic. You have to respect the simplicity and longevity of the design.
    amen.............................

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast