Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default saw the ruger AR 15

stopped by my favorite gunshop this afternoon and they had a ruger ar15 on the shelf. from outward appearances the rifle looks pretty good and the price was right at 1500. if the rifle proves to be reliable ruger should have a real winner on it's hand. most piston driven ar15's are running above 2 grand and the ruger comes with the rail forearm, front/rear sites and really comfortable hogue pistol grip. instead of the typical bird cage flash hider ruger has added a GB style flash hider that looks pretty good but the rifle doesn't have a bayonet lug if that means anything to you. overall i was impressed with the rifle and would buy it if i had the extra cash laying around.

(Erie County)

Default Re: saw the ruger AR 15

Ruger manufactuers some great firearms so I expect that this rifle will be a success. There are already TONS of options in the AR market right now, but it's always nice to see someone new step up.

(Berks County)

I read a few first hand reviews from guys that bought them on AR15.com and everyone is impressed so far. If they ever release just the upper at a good price, I may be all over it. I would replace that flash hider though, it's ungodly ugly, IMO.

(Cumberland County)

If they release just the upper, I have a feeling that Bushmaster's piston upper will come down in price. Unless I'm wrong, Bushmaster is the only piston upper on the block right now. A little competition would be a good thing.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    If they release just the upper, I have a feeling that Bushmaster's piston upper will come down in price. Unless I'm wrong, Bushmaster is the only piston upper on the block right now. A little competition would be a good thing.
    Uhh, yeah you're way off. POF has been in the piston game for a long time now and LWRCi makes some of the best piston guns on the market right now. PWS has also been manufacturing piston conversion kits which perform very well if installed properly and the HK 556 uppers which are pistons will all drop right onto a standard AR lower. That's just off the top of my head, and I would buy any one of them before I'd even consider a Bushmaster. I do like that Ruger has stepped into the market and I hope that they have got a quality design and make sure that people know the problems with piston uppers as opposed to DI so that people know what they're getting into when they buy one.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Uhh, yeah you're way off. POF has been in the piston game for a long time now and LWRCi makes some of the best piston guns on the market right now. PWS has also been manufacturing piston conversion kits which perform very well if installed properly and the HK 556 uppers which are pistons will all drop right onto a standard AR lower. That's just off the top of my head, and I would buy any one of them before I'd even consider a Bushmaster. I do like that Ruger has stepped into the market and I hope that they have got a quality design and make sure that people know the problems with piston uppers as opposed to DI so that people know what they're getting into when they buy one.
    You forgot LMT and Sig... Personally I am not sure they are worth it... I will know more when I SBR my P556.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    You forgot LMT and Sig... Personally I am not sure they are worth it... I will know more when I SBR my P556.
    Yep, I knew there were more. I'm not sold 100% on the piston concept either as it introduces stresses into the receiver that were never intended in the design, a bushing where the op rod enters the receiver can help but the carrier tilt is one of the main problems which I am guessing we will see most people who buy one not knowing what they are buying complaining about. However I'd still buy an LWRCi or LMT piston upper in a heartbeat.

(Cumberland County)

Well, it appears that I was mistaken. Can I blame it on my computer?
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    Well, it appears that I was mistaken. Can I blame it on my computer?
    Sure, but just this once