Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Gun dog help

(Schuylkill County)

Default Gun dog help

I had my yellow lab @ the local boat launch swimming yesterday evening. She loves the water but can't seem to grasp the correct swimming form. She keeps kicking the water with her front paws. Anyone else have this problem with a lab or other retriever?

Also, after last night I believe she's developed cold or "dead" tail. I was doing some internet research and saw that it can be caused by overexertion in the water. Anybody have any experiences with this with their dogs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BswIOQIly7A
    Last edited by HamburgBoy84; June 26th, 2009 at 09:16 AM.
    Happiness is warm gun (bang bang, shoot shoot)

Default Re: Gun dog help

most labs naturally are swimmers just keep taking her out and just have fun she will get used to it. i have never heard of that tail thing. my dog will retreive all fday long. i love labs they are the best

(Mercer County)

I'm sorry but I noticed a few things that I see that are wrong about your post and vid.
    Most dogs will do anything to please their master; it’s the master’s job to make sure a young dog does not over do it. There have been plenty of dogs that have died in the field and water do to overexertion. A lab with problems with tail wag is defiantly an indicator. (I think you just figured this out!) Also I've trained with a lot of people and I've never seen anyone send a dog into the water with a 50-foot rope.
    Most trainers take off all collars especially on a young dog to prevent the dog from getting caught up in debris, trees, rocks, ect. Especially as they are learning to swim. I know that your right there watching and would be willing to take a swim to save your dog, but you have no Idea what’s traveling just below the surface of the water.

Now the good thing is that your developing a relationship with your young dog, exposing it to new situations and if your want a pet it looks like you have a good one, if you want a hunting companion then your on your way!

Feel free to pm if you have any questions.

Josh

yeah i tried that rope thing one time only because the place where i was at a park ranger yelled at me for not having him on a leash. so now i just take my dog to the susquehanna river and he just loves it. i agree ditch the rope

(Monroe County)

We have a small pond and my cocker will retrieve all day long from a canoe. He swims just fine but he uses a life vest so i can pick him back up into the boat.

(Mercer County)

Also all young dogs look peaty goofy as there learning to swim, don't worry she'll figure it out. They really look real goofy when they are looking for the dummy and they seem to elevate their body in the water and extend their neck like a periscope until they see it. If she wines while looking she's expressing desire to please. Have a great time with your dog and always treat it well.

(Schuylkill County)

She's on the rope because, as you can see, the boat launch was very busy and I didn't want her getting into propellers, or "meeting" everyone that came along. I checked out the swimming area before I sent her in and there is no tension on the rope while she is swimming it's just there to keep her close when she comes back in. If there had been no other people there she would have not been on the rope.

As far as the tail thing goes, speaking with our vet it's a somewhat common occurrence usually caused by over-exertion/swimming. Thanks for all the input folks. We're definitely going to keep getting her in the water as much as possible this summer.
    Happiness is warm gun (bang bang, shoot shoot)