Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: C&R questions

(Venango County)

Default C&R questions

I just recieved my C&R FFL and I have a couple questions. The first is for the aquisition of handguns, am I still required under PA law to get a PICS check for aquiring a C&R handgun with my FFL? What about selling a handgun from my collection to a private person? Does anyone have an updated list of C&R eligible firearms, they sent a list from '01. And finally, are there forms available to be used in the "bound book" or do I make them myself?

(Bucks County)

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: C&R questions

Another newbie to C&R myself, just got mine Monday. Here's what I know. (Or should I say, here's what I think I know). If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Here's a web site that has a lot of information. It looks legitimate and matches well with what other C&R holders have told me:
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...fl03/index.asp
    There is also information in the first pages of the bound book that I bought, It's from Brownells. I bought it for $3.00 at Enck's Gun Barn in Newmanstown. I'm sure you can find someone selling them in your neighborhood if you don't already have one.

am I still required under PA law to get a PICS check for aquiring a C&R handgun with my FFL?
    No, a signed copy of your C&R license negates the need for a background check on the purchase of a C&R eligible handgun or rifle.
    What about selling a handgun from my collection to a private person?
    My understanding of that is that the sale must go through a FFL dealer (01 license) and a background check is mandatory for the buyer if that person does not have a C&R license, I don't know if you yourself will be subjected to the PICS or not. The dealer should know for sure. I would think not, but I don't know for sure.

And finally, are there forms available to be used in the "bound book" or do I make them myself?
    I think the forms you are asking about would be form 4473. Here is a link to the form in a file that you can save and print as needed. It says it is current as of July 2005. I haven't found anything more recent than that.
    http://www.ocshooters.com/Gen/Form-4...-Form-4473.htm

Does anyone have an updated list of C&R eligible firearms, they sent a list from '01.
    They sent you a list?? My license was a single piece of paper in an envelope.
    You can find a list with updates here:
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm

(Chester County)

I had my C&R Nagant revolver shipped directly to my house. No pics required.

(Centre County)

Go to the ATF website http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm and order the C&R book. The first sections explain what to do (laws, bound book, etc.) and the other sections list all the C&R firearms and ammo. Download the updates also.

Actually there are MANY handguns listed as C&R firearms. Remember C&R stands for Curios and Relics. The firearm does not necessarily have to be old to be classed as a C&R.

You can get C&R preprinted bound books from Brownells and Midway and probably other places as well. You can also make your own on a computer and even keep it electronic. The C&R book explains.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member