Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default How much ammo does the FBI need?

Why do does the federal government agencies need all of this ammo?

http://www.winchester.com/news/newsv...px?storyid=219

News and Press Releases

WINCHESTER WINS FBI 40 S&W AMMUNITION CONTRACT

Winchester Ammunition
    11/26/2007
    The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has awarded Winchester® Ammunition the single largest ammunition contract in the history of federal law enforcement worth a maximum of $54 million.

Winchester Ammunition will produce 40 S&W service ammunition, training ammunition, reduced lead training ammunition and frangible ammunition for the FBI for one base year, with four, one-year renewal options.

“The innovation behind the enhanced 40 S&W bonded service round is a testament to our Winchester engineers and the quality of our manufacturing,” said Dick Hammett, president, Winchester Ammunition.

Winchester’s enhanced 40 S&W service ammunition is a 180-grain, bonded jacketed hollow point round and was selected over all other rounds that were tested. The FBI tests the terminal ballistics of each round by shooting a specific test protocol through various barriers such as heavy cloth, wallboard, plywood, steel and auto glass into ballistic gelatin.

In addition to the FBI, the contract affects many agencies both inside and outside the Department of Justice, including the Drug Enforcement Administration, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and U.S. Marshal Service.

“On behalf of Winchester, we are extremely proud that our nation’s premier law enforcement agency has selected Winchester ammunition to use in its mission of protecting and defending the United States,” said Hammett.

For more information about Winchester Ammunition and its complete line of products visit www.winchester.com.

Default Re: How much ammo does the FBI need?

In addition to the FBI, the contract affects many agencies both inside and outside the Department of Justice, including the Drug Enforcement Administration, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and U.S. Marshal Service.
    Thats alot of Agents to provide ammo for....
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

thats because their probably charging 100.00 a box of 20

(Philadelphia County)

You think that's a lot?

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    You think that's a lot?

;-)
    i remember when the gov was paying 35.00 a nut (nuts and bolts) you can get the same nut for under five cents.. then someone complained and that was that, you never heard a thing about it again....

(Montgomery County)

govt gets ammo at a minimum of 11% cheaper because they dont pay FET (Federal Excise Tax).

aside form the large amount of agents they have at all levels, most of whom are required to requalify multiple times a year.

check this out, its just NEW agent training...check the ammunition levels of rounds fired.
    http://www.fbi.gov/hq/td/academy/sat/sat.htm
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    govt gets ammo at a minimum of 11% cheaper because they dont pay FET (Federal Excise Tax).

aside form the large amount of agents they have at all levels, most of whom are required to requalify multiple times a year.

check this out, its just NEW agent training...check the ammunition levels of rounds fired.
    http://www.fbi.gov/hq/td/academy/sat/sat.htm
    im sure their getting a good deal but, theres also allot of waste. someone gave me a case of .223 for free. it came from a police station, they wanted new ammo so they just get rid of the old stock..damn i have some ammo thats over 60 yrs old....

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    i remember when the gov was paying 35.00 a nut (nuts and bolts) you can get the same nut for under five cents.. then someone complained and that was that, you never heard a thing about it again....
    That doesn't mean that the practice stopped, it just means that we never heard about it again.

(And I'm glad you clarified "nuts and bolts")

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    That doesn't mean that the practice stopped, it just means that we never heard about it again.

(And I'm glad you clarified "nuts and bolts")
    oh i highly doubt it stopped... you'll probably hear about again sometime between now and election day....

(Delaware County)

I did calculations and that really isn't that many rounds per agent. Keep in mind that the 5 year (1+4) contract is also open to sever other DOJ and DHS agencies. This includes training ammo for their schools and academies, periodic requals, regular practice for the agents and carry ammo. There simply are a lot of federal agents including a bunch of tactical and SWAT teams as well. Also, keep in mind that many of these agents have 3 to 5 firearms that they practice and qualify with. I know of 2 groups in particular that qualify with handgun, BUG, shotgun, sub machine gun and M4 and possibly a personally owned off duty gun.

I don't want some numb nuts giving ammo away to you and I but I sure want them to have all of the practice ammo that their personnel need.

This doesn't amount to 100 ft of a certain bridge to no where for which they are making us all pay.