Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ar15 storage

Default ar15 storage

Is it legal to keep an ar 15(semi auto w/bayonet mount) in storage in pa for a friend who legally purchased it but moved to New jersey and can no longer
    own it there?
    He shoots at range in pa.

thanks richg15

(Chester County)

Default Re: ar15 storage

By "put in storage" do you mean a self storage facility, or do you mean kept at a friends place? I don't think I would want any of my guns kept in a storage facility. Legal? I'm not sure. Smart? Not very.

If you mean kept at a friend's house, it should be fine as long as the friend isn't a prohibited person.

IANAL.

I live in New Jersey ,I have a bushmaster.Its legal I shoot in NJ.
    He need's to get a NJ firearms card.

Quote Originally Posted by richg15 View Post
    Is it legal to keep an ar 15(semi auto w/bayonet mount) in storage in pa for a friend who legally purchased it but moved to New jersey and can no longer
    own it there?
    He shoots at range in pa.

thanks richg15
    Depends on whether they were both PA residents at the time custody was transferred.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ferg34 View Post
    I live in New Jersey ,I have a bushmaster.Its legal I shoot in NJ.
    He need's to get a NJ firearms card.
    If it's got a pistol grip, bayonet lug, and threaded barrel, I don't think you can bring it into PRNJ.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Philadelphia County)

It can only legally be taken into New Jermany if it is AWB compliant. If it is not he can't take it into NJ, as for the legality of you holding onto it for him I have no idea. If it is he can take it into NJ, however I don't think he will need to get a Firearms ID card since he is not purchasing it, however I am not 100% about that although I do have friends in NJ who do have firearms without the card.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Just my opinun"
    He should still get a fire arms card.

This state is the worst there is.
    He will need it if he wants to stop & buy ammo, or if he gets stopped by the law & has a weapon in his car with no fire arms back ground credentials for new jersey.
    I have a C & R lic.,in New jersey you can wipe your butt with it.Its worthless.
    They are hammering us.

(Luzerne County)

Just my thoughts here.. As long as he purchased the gun while living in a 'legal' state, there should be no problem. You can always ask over at m4carbine.net, they're usually pretty nice to noobs with questions like that.

As far as NJ compliant is concerned.. I don't know about mag cap limits but pistol grip is okay, bayonet lug is not (can be cut off), no flash hider but compensators are okay (go figure). Also, no folding or collapsible stocks. This is AFAIK that is. Again, may want to ask in one of the forums like m4carbine.net.

If his gun has a full 16" barrel meaning the flash hider was not pinned and welded and just screwed on he can swap out the flash hider for something legal in NJ (which still -looks- evil, but legal, go figure). There are plenty of compensators to choose from. Also, the bayonet lug can be ground off and a spritz of black rustoleum on the bare metal will do. There are also stock choices for NJ as well.

One thing to remember with the AR15, it's allot like the 1911 pistol in that there is a huge industry of parts and supplies behind it. Your friend needs to research what is legal in NJ, what makes his not legal, and see how easy it is to make it legal. I think the only thing that might mess things up for him would be if he has a 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded 1.5" suppressor on it.

(Tioga County)

He could always sell it to you for a very low price with the written agreement that he can buy it back from you at the same price when or if he moves out of NJ. That way there would be no question on whats legal or not.

You can't transfer guns between residents of different states without an FFL. If the other guy bought a rifle while he was a PA resident, then gave it to the OP (a PA resident) in PA before he moved, THAT was OK. Now that he's a NJ resident, they are not free to transfer any guns back and forth, not unless they fall within an exception; I believe there's one for hunting trips, but I'd have to look it up.

If the owner had it secured in the OP's home, in a locked safe to which the OP lacked access, then no "transfer" took place, it would be arguably like sticking it in a safety deposit box. But PA's easy rules about transfers of long guns between adult, non-prohibited PA residents don't supersede the Federal prohibition on interstate private transfers.

It's unlikely to be the subject of an ATF taskforce, but that doesn't make it legal.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast