Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Thinking of joining the Navy, want some opinions/advice.

I am seriously thinking of joining the navy as a long term career. I am thinking going into security. any Navy people out there? what was your experience like, any advice?

Default Re: Thinking of joining the Navy, want some opinions/advice.

I did 20 years and it worked for me. It was not all smooth going but the bad times were few because I made it that way. You can make any job bad and any job good. It's all up to you. I liked what I did and had fun doing my job, or tried to. If you go at it with your mind made up that it's going to suck, it will. In my 20 years I got to 26 different countries, many more than once and got to do things I would never have been able to do. I've been out for 20 years and would go back in if I could. Is it a job for everyone, no. But almost everyone can do the first 4 years to see if they like it.

Do it.

(Westmoreland County)

agreed, I did 4 years, and honestly miss it. had a good time, and if told tomorrow that I had to go back for some reason, I'd go to the basment, grab my sea bag, and be on my way. go for it. a buddy of mine joined up, and is now stationed in Norfolk on the Enterprise. lol, don't know who he pissed off though, gettin stuck on the oldest CVN, while in dry dock as a newbie. and if he happens to read this... if I get the chance to come visit man, and you take me on a "tour" I'm touchin every piece of brasswork that i can. ;-)

(Delaware County)

I love the Navy and it would be a good choice for you. But also, look into the Coast Guard as their peacetime mission and move into Homeland security might have some additional options for what your stated want is.

I was under the Department of transportation Coast Guard in the 70's. After 1 year under the Navy's rule. The Navy had better movies, but the chow in the Coast Guard is the best! Smaller stations allow for less mass production!

I think any way you go on a choice, it will be a noble one!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

just make sure your at least 6ft. tall if your going to join the Coast Gaurd.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by poseidon5 View Post
    just make sure your at least 6ft. tall if your going to join the Coast Gaurd.

Ouch, like I've never heard that before!?!?

"A fathom is the average distance from fingertip to fingertip of the outstretched arms of a man -- about six feet. Since a man stretches out his arms to embrace his sweetheart, Britain's Parliament declared that distance be called a "fathom" and it be a unit of measure. A fathom remains six feet."
    The bad news is that "sweetheart" is usually a bunk mate with a heavy beard!!

NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Well I wasn't in the Navy but my sister is a 'lifer' (Commander at this point) and she loves it. I also have two cousins that have been in for damn near 10 years and they love it too.

I seriously thought about a career in the Air Force, my father was a lifer and being able to retire at 41 (ten years younger than I am right now), along with all the benefits sure as hell beats busting your ass to 65!

Also, if you go the security way you can be pretty darn sure if you do get out you won't have any problems finding work.

(Lehigh County)

Did eight years and wished I could have done more but I wanted to marry and her parents would not give the ok if I stayed in. I had many a good time in the Navy, most of the time I was stationed overseas and a one year stretch in Viet Nam, if I had to do it all over again I would have retired from the Navy. I would just have found another way to stay in AND get married to the same girl (been 40 years now).

The main thing to remember is to keep your nose clean and enjoy the experiences.
    TET 68 Survivor --- U. S. Navy 1963 - 1972

(Montgomery County)

I'm also in the Navy...2 years now in the reserves. Masters at arms trained on the same base as my "A" school in Virginia, but now all the active duty MA's go the Texas, I think. I really do like the Navy though. If you make sure to keep yourself squared away, no one will give you any problems. Good luck!

(Bradford County)

i spent 5 years in the navy, no ship duty though. was in the seabees. best time of my life!!! i wish i would have stayed in also.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast